Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Are you sure the shocks aren't bad?

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
typically the shop I buy my springs from has a press. They compress the spring for me and put 4x 3/4" steel straps. Pop the old springs out, put the new ones in, jack up the LCA until the spring compresses and cut the straps.

Re" the poster with the vids, that's some great work and a great teaching aid. Although you scared the crap outta me working on the car and climbing underneath trying to get the spring out while it's sitting on 4 jackstands. I have seen cars slip off before.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
shocks are a tube, springs are the coil things.
the best spring compressor i ever used was for coilover springs. it has 2 compressors, one for each side of the spring. thats the best imo. ask for a spring compressor for a honda civic or 94 saturn sl2 :lol:

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
its a good idea.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
I would try and change the shocks first and see if that's the problem...........If your really worried about changing the springs yourself---------Have a shop do it for you.That is pricy though I think around 200.00 or so........ Once you do change the front springs, It will sit a bit higher.................while your at it, change the rears too :)

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
Pretty simple job when done this way. Jack the front of the car up as high as u can and let down on set of jack stands, make sure it is safe before getting under. U don['t need a spring compressor nor do u need a fork. Leave the ball joints 2gether. What u will ned will be 2 swaybar links a set of front shocks and the obvious front coils. Start by removing the front links, next the shocks. Then position the jack under the control arm remove the 2 bolts on the inner part of the control arm. Lower the jack slowly until the tension is off the spring. Take the old one out and install the new one making sure the top isolator rubber and spring are in the proper position. Line up the pigtail with the bottom control arm and start jacking up the arm. Its better if u have another person operating the jack while u gide the arm back into place. Jam the bolts back in install the shock and link and yer ready to do the other side. Leave the tires on so u can grab them if u have to move the arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor