how do i replace my front coil springs..79 cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicago2tacoma

Greasemonkey
Apr 25, 2010
My 79 cutlass supreme has springs in it that are so soft if I hit a dip in the road at any kind of speed my front tires scrape the wheel well....I ordered new front springs and hope this will fix da prob how do I go aboute puting them in...??

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
you need to get a spring compresser, get a COIL spring compresser . jack up the car, and compress the springs. BE CAREFUL! if you **** up the spring can kill you. pull the spring out and carefully uncompress the spring, then compress the new spring and put he new on in the same way the old one was. while yer in there replace the front shocks, the do the same for the rears. AND get new sway bars. ITS AWSOME. also, buy a chiltons or haynes, or whatever repair manuals you like and follow the instructions. its not too hard if ya got some pb blaster and a map tourch and a friend who knows what hes doing.

chicago2tacoma

Greasemonkey
Apr 25, 2010
I only ordered the fronts....I'm just gonna replace the front springs do you think that will solve my problem and do you think the car will sit funny after

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
Before I say anything I MUST say this. Be VERY careful. Even a weak spring has tremendous stored energy!

Before doing anything, get a section of chain or nylon strap to secure the spring from flying out, about 4 feet needed. You also need a pickle fork to loosen the lower ball joint and tie rod end.

Remove the shock.
Remove the cotter pin for the tie rod end, remove the nut, and use the fork to pop the tie rod loose.
Place chain/strap around spring and a-arm mount on frame. Leave slightly loose to allow some movement in srping but keep it from flying out.
Place floor jack under a-arm until it just touches.
Remove the cotter pin that passes thru the lower ball joint nut.
Loosen the lower ball joint nut. Since the threads may be rusted, I usually run the nut completely off to clean the threads out and then back on until the stud is flush to the top of the nut. With the nut on the ball joint, there should be a gap between the bottom of the nut and spindle.
Place the pickle fork between the bottom of the spindle and ball joint. Use BFH and hit the fork until it pops loose and scares the @%$# outta you.
Place floor jack under the a-arm and lift until there is a small gap under the ball joint nut. Remove nut.
Lower jack slowly until the arm is extended down as far as possible. Standing to the front of the car, use long prybar to pop spring out from the lower arm pocket.
When the spring goes thwang.... it is safe to remove chain/strap and pull spring from car.

Call wrecker and have towed to a shop after you realize you're in over your head... jus kidding...

Use a spring compressor and compress new spring.
After spring is compressed, place back into frame pocket and pull a-arm up and sit spring into pocket.
Make sure the lower coil of the spring is between the 2 small holes in the a-arm.
Place floor jack under arm and raise until the spindle can be placed on ball joint stud and get nut started by hand.
Torque ball joint nut (to 10,000,000 ft.lbs ( :shock: ) tightly and install new (nail) cotter pin.

Reinstall tie rod end and shock.

Contemplate whether you now want to tackle the other side...

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL

MR442

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2010
Back woods Central PA
Dollars to donuts it will sit higher in front end . The fresh springs up front may show you how much bounce the back has. But one step at a time.

Attachments

• 10423806_10204378204442048_2478228134754578229_n.jpg
    10423806_10204378204442048_2478228134754578229_n.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 456

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az
I have a few vids on youtube of me doin the front end work. If you have access to air tools that will help out big time. As stated, you'll need a pickle fork to separate the balljoints from the spindle and tiesrod end. Safety glasses please!!! Cant be said enough...This can hurt you BADLY or worse...kill you. Ive seen springs fly thru walls. Here's a few vids of me working on the front..

tearing the front end down. I didnt use a spring compressor here. used my floor jack to lower the spring down after I took some of the front end parts out. Take pics of everything so you have an example of how it goes back together... I'm a lil more into the front end build than you want to go. I replaced the spindles, brakes, wheel bearing, springs and other front end parts. Some of the vid instructions wont apply to you. But you will see how I got the springs out, and the new ones in using a compressor and floor jack..

[youtube]<object width="660" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/q6MkiYAXaww&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/q6MkiYAXaww&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="405"></embed></object>[/youtube]

putting it all back together

[youtube]<object width="660" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3sr4OnfuUqQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3sr4OnfuUqQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="405"></embed></object>[/youtube]

me using the compressor I rented from Autozone. I hate this compressor. Im used to the ones with the 4 hooks(2 on top and 2 on bottom)

[youtube]<object width="660" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BOV3O3AL4lw&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BOV3O3AL4lw&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="405"></embed></object>[/youtube]

[youtube]<object width="660" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FiwMgBT5ZRM&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FiwMgBT5ZRM&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="405"></embed></object>[/youtube]

PLEASE BE CAREFUL. Its really an easy job, but you MUST show respect for the tool. I cant say it enough bro. Im no mechanic. Im new to all this stuff. Ive always had shops do the work for me, but decided I needed to do this stuff myself and save a few bucks. You can do it bruh. Do your homework first tho. Dont rush it. Hit youtube up for more how to's on the subject. Goodluck and be safe...

I have some other vids of me workin on my Monte SS here...click on the "uploads" tab to show all the vids Ive done. Hope this helps you. If I can do all the work you'll see in my vids, so can you bruh!

http://www.youtube.com/user/bumpin1ohm#p/u

Warren 8)

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
Another option is go grab a 32"piece of 5/8" HD allthread , 1/2 dozen matching bolts and HD/big flat washers.

The short version is do like listed above, removing the shock, popping the lower balljoint etc.

Now thread the allthread from above thru the shock hole from above down thru the spring and out the bottom.

Put a washer/bolt where the shock mount would be so now the allthread will hang there.

Double nut 2 bolts on the top of the allthread (in the engine bay).

There should be about 5 to 6" of allthread hanging below the LCA.

Run a couple washers up from below, grease between them and run a bolt up.

This is the slow part since they don't make a 6" deep socket, run the bottom nut up, it will start to compress the spring.

After it has moved up about an inch or 2, remove the LCA bolts, now slowly lower the nut.

You may need to wiggle out the lca away from the frame, keep lowering until all pressure is released and remove the assem.

Install is the reverse.

Takes some more time but with alot less drama.

I came up with this after having a compressor cut loose, spring hit the floor and swung up on it's chain and dented/scratched the fender. It just missed me also.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
:friday: I like that idea, as I hate cheapo spring compressors too because of what could happen, and has.

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
Here is my Spring Thing. Notice the hi tech locator, duct tape on the middle nut. :lol:

springthing.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor