Status
Not open for further replies.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
JBreu said:
I would try and change the shocks first and see if that's the problem

I agree. The shocks would be much easier to change and may solve your problem. I had problems with my tires rubbing on large dips in the road on my '87. It had the stock 420lb/in F41 springs but some no-name Midas type shocks. Replaced those with a pair of Bilstein's and everything was good.

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
Shocks will not do a thing, u need both. The job of the shock is dampin spring occilations, does not determine your ride height. When this job is done it will feel like a new ride.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Pontiac455 said:
Shocks will not do a thing, u need both. The job of the shock is dampin spring occilations, does not determine your ride height. When this job is done it will feel like a new ride.

Right but if the shock is wore out or the valving is to "loose" it will allow more suspension travel with the possibility of too much travel. Most likely the spring and shock are both weak, replacing or upgrading the shock alone may be able to make up for a worn spring/shock combo(at least as far as rubbing issues go). Not the most ideal solution but one that could work.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Pontiac455 said:

Well, to a point your right. But if he installs a shock with stiffer valving, it WILL help with the issue he's having. I know as I had the same problem with mine.

However, your right in that it is for the most part just a bandaid if the springs are just weak. Replacing both would be ideal however I was offering up the simpliest and easiest thing to do first before getting into replacing springs. Either way, if he installs new springs, he should install new shocks as well.

anakputa

Master Mechanic
Nov 27, 2009
Pontiac455 wrote:pretty simple job when done this way. Jack the front of the car up as high as u can and let down on set of jack stands, make sure it is safe before getting under. U don['t need a spring compressor nor do u need a fork. Leave the ball joints 2gether. What u will ned will be 2 swaybar links a set of front shocks and the obvious front coils. Start by removing the front links, next the shocks. Then position the jack under the control arm remove the 2 bolts on the inner part of the control arm. Lower the jack slowly until the tension is off the spring. Take the old one out and install the new one making sure the top isolator rubber and spring are in the proper position. Line up the pigtail with the bottom control arm and start jacking up the arm. Its better if u have another person operating the jack while u gide the arm back into place. Jam the bolts back in install the shock and link and yer ready to do the other side. Leave the tires on so u can grab them if u have to move the arm.
Wow this is the dangerous way of doing it... :blam:

brettlaage03

Greasemonkey
Mar 30, 2010
SW Wisconsin
That does sound dangerous. I did the same thing shotgun said to do. My friend used to work at a local restoration shop and he uses the all thread and double nuts the top. we welded it. and used a 2 1/2 pound weight at the bottom beneath the control arm and it does work very well. Don't use an impact on it. We wanted to be quick about it and chewed up a lot of thread.

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
Dangerous hahahahahahhaha Not even. Been doin it this way for years.. Once U get a few under yer belt u'llll c. And as 4 just replacing the shocks only its a waste of money beacuse the springs are f__ked. It will only beat the shi tout of the shocks they won't last a month.

anakputa

Master Mechanic
Nov 27, 2009
Pontiac455: Dangerous hahahahahahhaha Not even. Been doin it this way for years.. Once U get a few under yer belt u'llll c. And as 4 just replacing the shocks only its a waste of money beacuse the springs are f__ked. It will only beat the shi tout of the shocks they won't last a month.
Obviously you don't work on flatrate for a living..

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
Obviously you don't work on flatrate for a living..

Yer a funny girl. U must make a fortune on flat rate, by the sounds off all your posts all you can do is change oil and put air in tires. Remember when the goin gets tuff gets goin and u start cryin like a b*tch U STARTED RUNNIN YER MOUTH.

anakputa

Master Mechanic
Nov 27, 2009
Actually a Field Tech Rep for an OEM that goes to all the dealers and help the mechanics their repair the cars. So I can spot a Hack like you from a mile away..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor