how do i replace my front coil springs..79 cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
pontiacgp said:
if you don't change spring regularly you can take your springs to a suspension place and they can compress and tie your springs so you can put them in place and cut the tie. Last person I know who did this said it cost him $15. Saves you from buying or making tools you don't really need

x2 the shop I bought my springs from also does transport trucks and they did it for free :) BTW they were by and far cheaper than using a parts store for replacement springs

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
G-Body_Vet said:
shotgun said:
Here is my Spring Thing. Notice the hi tech locator, duct tape on the middle nut. :lol:

springthing.jpg

Back from the dead....

Since I'm getting read to install my new springs I think I'm going to hit up Home Depot and concoct one of these.
this worked for me, however...because the spring wants to compress straight up, the arm has to be "persuaded" into position with a jack and a crowbar. I had the spindle already bolted on, because without it, there was too much movement. car wanted to come up off the stands at times, so be careful! If I ever do this again, I will take them to a shop, have them compressed and banded....much, much easier and safer!

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Went to Home Depot, the only allthread they had was 36". The washers were ok for the top, but nothing suitable for the bottom of the control arm. I got creative and bought a 2" ID pipe cap and drilled a 5/8" hole. I felt more comfortable knowing it wouldn't buckle and it fit the recess in the LCA great.

I decided it wasn't a good idea to install a spring while I was half-*ss hammered so I'll finish it later.

1978GrandPrix188.jpg

1978GrandPrix191.jpg

1978GrandPrix192.jpg

1978GrandPrix198.jpg

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
G-Body_Vet said:
I decided it wasn't a good idea to install a spring while I was half-*ss hammered so I'll finish it later.

you mean you finished it when you were fully hammered?.... :shock:

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
pontiacgp said:
G-Body_Vet said:

you mean you finished it when you were fully hammered?.... :shock:

:lol: No way!
It's just mocked up right now with practically no tension on it. I already see I'm going to have a good time aligning those lower bolts into the bushings. I was hating life the last time I tried it this way. But then again I was using a crappy spring compressor that kept slipping.

Since the new spring is significantly shorter I'm going to see if I can put a spin on this to make it a little easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor