How rare is a 1978 Regal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MEAN78REGAL

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 23, 2010
I've looked in quite a few places and can't seem to find too many 1978 Regals. I know there was quite a few made back in the day but are they just all gone nowadays? I still see lots of 80's Regals but not many if any late 78's or 79's. Does anyone know just how rare these are?

Reubster

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2009
Yeah im wondering the same thing, i have a 78 regal. I live in jackson MS and ive only seen about 5 in like 10 years. They might have been 79s but only one of them looked worth a damn.. I think i got a very rare 78, everyone asks me to sell it n it doesnt look worth a damn..

MEAN78REGAL

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 23, 2010
Yeah I've been experiencing the same thing. I also have a 78. Hopefully going to get her running soon. Bought her with no motor or trans and have recently put in a 350 with a turbo 350 trans. I have been working on her since August of 09 and already have had several people try and buy her. So these 78's must be pretty rare. I am from Ames, IA and have only seen one for sale in my area (Des Moines) and have yet to see one out driving around.

popsalzheimers

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 27, 2009
must not be much demand for em around here I know of one with like 54000 miles on it with a v8 that they want like 2500 for and have been unable to sell

jay_GM

Apprentice
Jan 31, 2010
dpends on where you live, quite alot in Reno NV but go to downtown SF (CA) and you barely see the 2001 model.

2fit661ca

Master Mechanic
Nov 16, 2009
Fairfield, IA
just had to point out how everyone who posted except for jay_GM is a noob :banana:

:worthless:

kingcolbert83

G-Body Guru
Mar 26, 2008
Not sure how rare they are but they aren't that popular. Some people really like the body style. I have a 78 myself and get offers. I think mostly because people want something different than the typical styled gbodies.

Mudweizer

Greasemonkey
Dec 23, 2008
Houston,TX
I have owned 3 78s so far, hopefully the one I have now will be the last one. I personally love the body style.

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
There were a gazillion Regals sold in '78, but at least here in the northeast, not many have survived. It was the worst years ever for door rot in coupes and rear frame rail rot, which sent many to an early grave. I don't know what changed in later years as far as the metal alloys, since the design was the same, but the problem lessened somewhat by the1981model year. Having to replace frame sections under warranty will always stir things up at the factory and force them to make some changes, even if they didn't resolve the problems completely.

Bill

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
billyjack said:
There were a gazillion Regals sold in '78, but at least here in the northeast, not many have survived.
Ding ding ding :lol: That's my thought, I'm guessing a lot of them lived in the rust belt (I grew up less than 10 minutes from Buick City in MI), and remember seeing tons of G-Bodies when I was younger, half the people in my subdivision had them. They're still all over the place in Flint, but the majority of them are rotted out, smoke like a bish, etc. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor