How to delete emissions on 3.8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
If it works, don't mess with it. Removing emissions stuff with trigger all kinds of lights and codes and BS and it wont run right, but if your car doesn't have a computer behind the passenger kick panel, go for it if you must. Check the emission laws in your state.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
If it doesn't have the computer, how would I delete the emissions?

Im thinking about it, and between this post, and your other thread regarding carb size (and possibly others I am yet to see) I do have a different question to ask you.

How does your car currently run/drive?

It sounds like you are seeking faster/better performance.

But.

The n/a 3.8 motor build up is mostly something that befits someone who doesn't care about budget and wants to be different.

Even the carbed 3.8 can be a stout little motor, it's just that it takes a good bit of money and oomph to get it there.

Between the carb and intake you discuss in the other thread, I can't help but think that $ for $ you might be happier saving up and buying parts for a drivetrain swap.

On its best day a pristine factory 3.8 2bbl might push 115hp. Even with a 4bbl, headers, no emissions and the like... you're in the 130s to 140s with a 30 year worn longblock.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I removed all emissions and computer parts from an '83 3.8. I found a junkyard '79 HEI distributor, and Dualjet carburetor. I spent a lot of time and money dialing it in for best performance. After all that, it still sucked. If it runs good, leave it alone. If you want power, get a better motor.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
A Buick 350 is a drop in, all the brackets etc transfer over. Find one complete motor with carb and distributor with a short tail TH350 trans and you will like the power increase.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

soma

Apprentice
Oct 27, 2014
eh if it was me and i was stuck with the 3.8 think i would start building a 3.8 turbo engine.if i remember right the block is the same for the turbo and non turbo you just need internals,intake,throttle body,exhaust manifolds,turbo regal computer(though i think an olds cutlass computer works),switch out the tank for a 4.3 monte carlo tank with a better fuel pump,so on so forth its a pretty strait forward build and loads of fun to drive...miss my gn =(.but yeah otherwise if your looking for a go fast motor you dont have to sink a ton of money into theres no replacement for displacement :3

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
The turbo blocks are different from the NA blocks and the 3.8 blocks vary slightly from year to year.

soma

Apprentice
Oct 27, 2014
The turbo blocks are different from the NA blocks and the 3.8 blocks vary slightly from year to year.
just curious actually if you dont mind elaborating what all would be different in the block?obviously an oil return would need to be drilled but not really sure of the other differences

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
just curious actually if you dont mind elaborating what all would be different in the block?obviously an oil return would need to be drilled but not really sure of the other differences
Blocks are stronger, some have more bolts in the block for the oil pan (85 and below have less than 86+) and yes an oil return. An N/A block can be made into a turbo engine easilly, but it will never hold upto like 20 psi all the time as the turbo blocks would. The carbed NA models are designated LD5 and the turbos are LC2 staring in 1986 when they got intercoolers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor