How to get vents out of a dash panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGBrandon2785

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2011
Saint Louis,MO
Long story short ive taken the dash panel off of my Grand Prix to change dash lights.But while its off im wanting to paint or dye the wood grain part grey and the vents and black parts dark blue.Im wondering how to get the vents out of the panel?Or if its even possible.Ive tryed a few things but im starting to think im gonna break it.

Heres a picture of what the panel looks like.

1015_4_dash.jpg

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Its possible I did it to mine. On the back of each vent you should see 4 clips that clip into a ridge on the vent. Pull them clips back and the whole vent will pull out from the front. It was a pain in the *ss at first but once I figured it out they all came out quick :mrgreen:

BIGBrandon2785

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2011
Saint Louis,MO
-83MONTESS- said:
Its possible I did it to mine. On the back of each vent you should see 4 clips that clip into a ridge on the vent. Pull them clips back and the whole vent will pull out from the front. It was a pain in the *ss at first but once I figured it out they all came out quick :mrgreen:
Cool thank you sir,much appreciated.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
BIGBrandon2785 said:
-83MONTESS- said:
No prob! I almost broke mine trying to figure it out and I couldnt find an answer anywhere on here.

BIGBrandon2785

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2011
Saint Louis,MO
-83MONTESS- said:
BIGBrandon2785 said:
-83MONTESS- said:
No prob! I almost broke mine trying to figure it out and I couldnt find an answer anywhere on here.
Like you said it was a pain at first but it all fell into place.When you did yours how did it turn out?Did you paint em or dye em.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
BIGBrandon2785 said:
-83MONTESS- said:
[quote="BIGBrandon2785]Cool thank you sir,much appreciated.
Like you said it was a pain at first but it all fell into place.When you did yours how did it turn out?Did you paint em or dye em.[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]
Heres mine so far. Im actually still in the process of figuring out exactly what im gonna do. I just painted the dash black today and im gonna hopefully make the gauge bezel tomarow. Im using a piece of plexiglass that will fit over the woodgrain part and im custom mounting the gauges. Instead of having 8 holes on the right side im getting rid of the 4 vent holes and im gonna do the four 2 5/8ths inch gauges in a line in that space. Hard to explain but I got it all figured out :mrgreen:

dash.jpg

BIGBrandon2785

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2011
Saint Louis,MO
-83MONTESS- said:
BIGBrandon2785 said:
-83MONTESS- said:
[quote="BIGBrandon2785]Cool thank you sir,much appreciated.
Like you said it was a pain at first but it all fell into place.When you did yours how did it turn out?Did you paint em or dye em.
[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]
Heres mine so far. Im actually still in the process of figuring out exactly what im gonna do. I just painted the dash black today and im gonna hopefully make the gauge bezel tomarow. Im using a piece of plexiglass that will fit over the woodgrain part and im custom mounting the gauges. Instead of having 8 holes on the right side im getting rid of the 4 vent holes and im gonna do the four 2 5/8ths inch gauges in a line in that space. Hard to explain but I got it all figured out :mrgreen:

dash.jpg
[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]
It looks good so far,I like the 4 gauge idea too.My dash is mint so im gonna just leave it the dark blue.I think im gonna sand down the panel and paint the wood grain part grey and the rest of the panel and vents dark blue.What ever I do I just hope it turns out decent,cuz its my first try at anything like this......Ill post a picture ether way :mrgreen:

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I think really anyway you do up a GP dash it still looks good. IMO much better than the montes.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
This is a better pic of what im doing. The blue is the plexiglass and the gauges are in their place just upside down til I cut the bezel out.

dashmod.jpg

86 maroon gp 2+2

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2010
Oxford, MI
I'm confused I though you had to take the whole dash out to replace the lights??? does the woodgrain piece seperate from the dash? I'm worried about having take out the whole dash because my lights are out :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor