How to lower compression???'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
All this talk of switching parts and I'm the first to suggest drilling holes in the Pistons..

Neil Degrasse Tyson GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
All this talk of switching parts and I'm the first to suggest drilling holes in the Pistons..

Neil Degrasse Tyson GIF
Yes but he'd need a good catch can setup on the valve covers... 🤣

• Haha

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
You can also retard the cam a little to bleed
If you added another .010” head gasket and cleaned 2 cc out of the heads, that would drop you into the mid to upper 12’s for static. Mill .020 of the pistons would drop another .3-.4 as well (or somewhere near that.)

Thicker headgaskets increases detonation due to poorer quench. Best to either mill or swap the pistons. Perhaps a tamer cam too.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You can also retard the cam a little to bleed

Thicker headgaskets increases detonation due to poorer quench. Best to either mill or swap the pistons. Perhaps a tamer cam too.
To a point I agree. If he’s running a standard Felpro at .038-.040 and zero decked, then he can get away with .050-055. Going to .080-.100 will cause major issues and .060-.065 won’t help his cause either. But if his pistons are .020 in the hole then he needs to stick with .030-.040 thick head gasket as a maximum thickness.

Most of this comes down to the OP. There are going to be times that he has to pay close attention to sound, performance and temps, and perhaps hang out waiting for it to cool off. . If he lets his woman drive it like a it’s a Toyota Rav 4 then it’s destined to be blown up. It won’t take 20 minutes of ignorance.

And he doesn’t need less cam imo. I’d tell him to put all of the cam in it that he can stomach around town. As Shawn mentioned, he needs to bleed all of the compression he can.

• Agree

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Yea less Cam raises dynamic.. so there's that.
Just makes the tune tougher to keep a handle on. Moving the cam about doesn’t help Bo Diddley if it’s too small. He needs to keep the cylinder pressure low below 3000rpms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor