How To Swap Buick V6 3.8 to SBC 350

Nozer

Greasemonkey
May 7, 2011
Macedon , NY
82supremeproject said:
i swapped in a tbi 350/700r4 and computer/ harness out of a 1989 c1500. i know i need to have the drive shaft shortened but i am not sure how much i need taken out. can anyone tell me how much i need to have the original drive shaft shortened swapping from a 3.8/auto 3 speed to 350/700r?
i did this but cant remember the length. measure the difference between the two transmissions and thats what you have to shorten the shaft. it was only 2 inches or so. wasnt much

Nozer

Greasemonkey
May 7, 2011
Macedon , NY
EuroCutty87 said:
i have an 87 cutlass and was considering this swap. besides the cost of the engine, transmission, and rear end, how much ideally should i account for to set aside to finish the swap?
id put aside an easy 800 . when i did mine you'll come across a bunch of other things you're gonna want to fix when the motor is out

B1tchin'-Buick

Master Mechanic
Jan 11, 2010
EuroCutty87 said:
this is what Im thinking.......5 g's for engine, 1800 for trans, 1300 for rear end. am I off?
Depends on what your long term plans are..... Too many factors come into play depending on wants and expectations long term. who's doing the swap? You or a shop?

<Mike>

Nozer

Greasemonkey
May 7, 2011
Macedon , NY
EuroCutty87 said:
this is what Im thinking.......5 g's for engine, 1800 for trans, 1300 for rear end. am I off?
yeah it all depends on your plans.. what kind of motor are you bulding.. trans? rearends? there are lots of variables, the most important one is how deep are your pockets

alrobjr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 4, 2009
Re: How To Swap a Chevy 3.8L To Buick 350

I can't figure out the swap parts list . Its a 1981 Monte Carlo 3.8 L , I'm installing a 1969 Buick 350 Lesabre engine . Which frame pads and which motor mounts ? :?:

V6UnderPressure

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2008
New Lenox, IL
Can someone advise, when going from an olds 307 to Chevy Small Block, would I need a gbody engine wiring harness from say, a monte carlo?

gnxsyc

n00b
Jan 9, 2014
I recently swapped my 231 to a 350 Chevrolet and the parts I used were: Engine mounts (on frame) - 1987 Chevy MC SS, I didn't change the front springs, I used the serpentine kit from Summit, which is mostly aluminum, the weight is almost the same. I also used a trans crossmember from Summit, for the 700R4. I had to visit the salvage yard for the radiator "lid", the V6 shroud obviously will not fit. Dual electric fans and a R134 conversion rounded it out. 3" cut from the driveshaft. Note: a 200C and a 700R4 use the same driveshaft yoke. This setup is only a stand-in, the Regal is getting a LS4 with a 6L90 or maybe one of the new GM 10 speeds I've been hearing about, time will tell. Happy swapping.

Reactions: 1 user

84cutspreme

Royal Smart Person
Jun 4, 2009
Note: a 200C and a 700R4 use the same driveshaft yoke
Warning! this is not true, I made the same mistake...they seem to be the same but if you run it like that for a while and pull yoke it will be worn. They are really close though. If you check it out you will have a little bit of play or slop in the yoke.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
84cutspreme said:
Note: a 200C and a 700R4 use the same driveshaft yoke
Warning! this is not true, I made the same mistake...they seem to be the same but if you run it like that for a while and pull yoke it will be worn. They are really close though. If you check it out you will have a little bit of play or slop in the yoke.

I'd have to say you are actually wrong. They are the same diameter and spline. The transmissions even use the same rear seal. I'm willing to bet you had a worn extension housing bushing that allowed the extra play and wear.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor