How to unstick rings

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Seafoam that b*tch. Hell, replace every fluid with the wrong fluid and let it fly!

• Haha
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Fleming- it's not my car. When I parted out my '77 TA this guy bought a ton of stuff. It's a really clean '80 Turbo TA that now has a 400 and he is a good guy. I wanted to get it up and running for him. The water in the engine was a real setback but now it's just the rings and lifter. Yeah, I am a big fan of solvent in the oil and run the piss out of it. I think as soon as we get it inspected and it's streetable I will go that route. When we got the water out I ran the diesel oil/acetone/motor oil mix you guys suggested back then. That worked great but the rings are still stuck. Not being able to drive it is a big factor. For everyone's information many years ago I did a solvent flush topic way back on the Classical Pontiac website. I took a gallon of Permatex Carb and Choke Cleaner ( the GOOD stuff) and poured it into a Pontiac 400 engine with no valley pan in place. I spun the oil pump by the distributor shaft with a 1/2" drill. The amount of crud that began flowing was unbelievable. I would spin it for a while then let it sit overnight. After a week or so this engine looked like it was hot-tanked internally. I flushed that with cheap motor oil and that engine is tight to this day. If this engine grenades I may sell him that one.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
Now l don't know about this as l have never tried it, but l heard somewhere in my life about pouring water down carb.

Guy said one guy in the car working petal to keep it running while second guy poured water down carb. This causing it to backfire threw both carb and exhaust blowing crap out of it and freeing up the rings. I guess threw the shock of it all.

The reason for 2 guys is you don't want to be to close to carb when it starts spitting crap out.

So????

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Make sure it's a lifter and not something else. ATF won't hurt and in the spring drive it with good oil (lean it it) and hope for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor