Hurst Olds Lightning Rods

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
88hurstolds said:
Different mold was used for 86-88, the tomato red painted band actually sits in a channel which is absent on 84-85's.
You're not getting off that easy, Mike. The outer lens/channel part is the same except for the red. 84-88 all have the channel. Pulled out an 86-88 lens I have in the closet and yes, it has "86" on it, so the mold did change. But to what degree is anyone's guess. Maybe the inner reflective housing is different?? I dunno. The outer lens appears identical to the 84/85 save for the red. Maybe one of these days when that fact needs to be important in the big scheme of life, I might get around to digging into it and finding out what the real deal is. Probably right after I figure out how to cure cancer. :mrgreen:

Sorry to digress. I realize this is about the L/R shifters. So...back to the topic.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
I beg to differ Mike :lol:
The 84-85's do not have the channel on the top of the lens, only bottom and side where as the 86-88's go around the whole lens top side and bottom, from a glance it can be easily missed.

Here is the '86-88:

Just went outside and looked at my '85 442 daily driver and it doesn't have a channel on the top.
Here is a picture of some off an '84, kind've hard to see but there is no channel on the top:

I have a shitload of reverse lights trying to get a decent pair before finding NOS ones.
It seems that people over look these when they restore their car, it's very difficult to find a nice pair that doesn't have the inner license plate light cracked and the lenses faded/fogged, crazed or melted and don't get me started on the vacuum metalized trim.

gp02a0083

Master Mechanic
May 17, 2011
thought the older reverse lights had a red reflector in them for the 83-84 's the ones you guys posted look like my original 86's with and without the stripe

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
gp02a0083 said:
thought the older reverse lights had a red reflector in them for the 83-84 's the ones you guys posted look like my original 86's with and without the stripe
Those are for 81-83
84-85 were clear
86-88 had a red stripe

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Bweavy said:
Anubis said:
Bweavy said:
Tail light emblem samples should be shipping to GM in the next 2-3 weeks. Once again we made sure these were dead on. The samples I recieved I nit picked apart which caused delays. Hurst is not licensing the tail light emblem that wil be GM.

Are these taillight emblems correct for 86'-88' G body Cutlass?
84-85 Black Cutlass & the 86-88 red Cutlass. I didn't nit pick the black at all just the red. Tooling wasn't cheap & paid for a while ago. The problem being is you get so much going on things fall to the way side. I met with our rep 2 weeks ago when he was here. We decided to do the 84-88 tail lights & the reverse lights first.
We have a lot of things in the works.
I just recieved the correct Lightning rod screws last week. They are in stock.

Brian,

Any update on the tail lights & reverse lights?

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
from what I understand is the tail lights we have in production are causing a hissy with the fitment, as well as getting the licensed emblems made to accomodate. As soon as they are finished up they will start on the regal tails, as well as the reverse lights.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
tobyp said:
from what I understand is the tail lights we have in production are causing a hissy with the fitment, as well as getting the licensed emblems made to accomodate. As soon as they are finished up they will start on the regal tails, as well as the reverse lights.

Thanks for the update.

Bweavy

Master Mechanic
Feb 27, 2009
Bethel N.C. 27812
Anubis said:
tobyp said:

Thanks for the update.
Tail light problems as long as they understand are fixed. I guess when we get the next tail light units in they will be approved. Emblems are out for licensing. Tooling is paid on emblems a year ago. Suppose to be built , done 10 weeks ago, usual BS. Samples no product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor