I need Options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
$1k budget is going to be tough honestly. Not 100% on mounts but they are relatively cheap, shroud, maybe brackets, plus exhaust manifolds and crossover IIRC. 2 guys can shade tree the swap over a weekend and a couple pizzas with a donor car and some torches.

If the motor is already near toast but still runs why not leave it in there for now ? 1 step at a time. Now again unless you can find a v8 powered donor gbody that will have everything you need and hopefully provide enough leftovers to sell off and recoup some of your cost.

Even so, having a shop do the work your $1k will be likely labour and then some

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
Should be able to find a running, quiet 350 for 2-300. Slap it in, and send it.
I sure hope so. . The bill for the installation is going to be high. On the other hand once the engine is out, and if I have permission, I can start the rust clean up on the front of the car like I planned alittle earlier than usual once the motor is out. I got someone on FB that wants to try to sell me a 0 miles 327. . .

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Ideal dream scenario is to find a crashed G body with a solid drivetrain. The little stuff, aside from being hard to find, can nickel and dime you to death. A shop usually just calls the parts house for it, not look around for the best deal on a hard to find part.

I would stay away from a "0 mile" anything. They're usually bare, and seldom 0 mile....lots of Krylon rebuilds out there. Better to buy a dirty one out of a fresh kill, barring finding a donor car.

Vortecs are good engines, but a manifold and carb to use it are going to eat up a lot of your budget. TBI engines also will require a manifold and carb to use.

Like I said, best bet is a donor car, preferably G body, as it will have all the stuff you'll need...mounts, fan shroud, maybe larger radiator, bracketry, etc.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but 4 doors make great donor cars, as there is usually little interest in them once they're no longer driver-status.

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Swap any SBC you can into it. Even a 305. Should be able to find one of those for free if you really look. Spend that 1k on an intake, carb, and exhaust which you can also use on a 350. That'll get you up and running without waisting any $$$$

Reactions: 2 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Swap any SBC you can into it. Even a 305. Should be able to find one of those for free if you really look. Spend that 1k on an intake, carb, and exhaust which you can also use on a 350. That'll get you up and running without waisting any $$$$

I don't think there's enough budget for manifold/carb and exhaust plus paid labor to install it all.

Good time to learn, but many get "lost" this way by jumping in before they have the skills to do it.

Reactions: 1 user

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
Ooo, now that is an option. . 305, that's what the 1980 M-80's had in them. Just as well I am also planning on buying an Ebay reproduction M-80 Spoiler to put on her. .:unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor