I want to do a rear disc conversion and NEED ADVICE

Status
Not open for further replies.

84aLkI

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 16, 2008
I have a possi 10 bolt rearend with 3.73'z off an 86 monte carlo ss thats going on my 84el camino i've heard i can take the disc brakes off a camaro if thats true what year camaro and am i gonna have to make any modifications to the rearend or will it bolt right on or what other kind of car can use as a donor and if anyone knows a good place to buy disc conversion kits plz let me know any and all advice iz wanted

T-TOP TONY

Master Mechanic
Jun 13, 2008
san bernardino, ca
84aLkI said:
I have a possi 10 bolt rearend with 3.73'z off an 86 monte carlo ss thats going on my 84el camino i've heard i can take the disc brakes off a camaro if thats true what year camaro and am i gonna have to make any modifications to the rearend or will it bolt right on or what other kind of car can use as a donor and if anyone knows a good place to buy disc conversion kits plz let me know any and all advice iz wanted

hey im running 95 camaro brakes in the rear actually pretty easy to install. Heres a link to the brackets i bought they come with instructions on how to do it.

http://www.flynbye.com/catalog/i30.html

pokertramp

G-Body Guru
Aug 10, 2008
Unless you are doing a lot of track racing, not drag racing, rear discs are poinless in my opinion. I feel that only people who are constantly stopping in things like an indy car need them.

Save your money and buy something else.

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
Speedway sells a kit for $300.. no parking brake though.

carbuf

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 14, 2009
Jacksonville, Fl.
I've got a complete package, including e-brake and cables that I plan on putting under my 86 Monte. I got the complete set up from a 99 S10 Blazer. I'll have to let you know if they work or if there's any fitment issues. Looks like it should be a simple and straight forward swap (looks can be decieving!)

Reactions: 1 user

83gcut

Apprentice
Nov 6, 2008
Houston,TX.
post so pics "carbuf" on the rear disc brake swap when your finished

thanks...... 8)

SLICK79WGN

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2008
LaPorte,Tx
yea carbuf let us know how it goes that would be sweet for me since I have a brand new set of drilled and slotted rotors for the back of a 98 s10 blazer I never got a chance to put on before I totaled it

84aLkI

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 16, 2008
i found a set of 94 camaro rear disk brakes it comes with calipers and rotors but no E brake there asking 125$ but i wanna offer 100$ is that a good deal??? :? and i wuz wondering if i wuz gonna have to change the master brake cylinder

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
I used the 98+ camaro ( aka LS1 brakes ) for mine.

With just about all of the rear disk brake swaps you have to swap backing plates ( and cut off the Brake Cyl tab, drill 2 new holes.... ) but you get bigger brakes with the LS1 setup than just about any other** ( pulled from any 98+ Camaro as they all got them even the V6 cars ). IMO this makes them plentiful and the biggest brakes for the least amount of money. Replacement parts will be supported for many years due to their use on so many cars. The only drawback to any of the rear disk brake setups is that it's a PIA to set up the parking brake. I never use one so it's A-OK with me but the writeup on the turboregal site has the how-to. Oh and they fit within the stock 15" rally wheels ( in my avatar )

**- there are larger brakes to be had but it's a huge tradeoff on price to get a setup from Baer or pull something from a late model vette and try to make it work.

I bought my whole setup from a guy called firehawkjeff on fleabay. He has many sets which are USED and sells everything ( backing plates, rotors, cables, calipers, pads, flex lines ) for $200.

Do a google search on ls1 rear brakes and read up on the links to thirdgen site and turboregal site. All-in it was under 3 hours to do both sides on my car and the difference is huge.

Most would recommend that you change the MC to gain all 100% of your newfound braking power. Many ( like myself ) have not bothered as my stops are shorter, with no brake fade and no lockup.

Good luck, and do some reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor