I'd like your opinions on this, please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

87Cutlass442

Apprentice
Oct 22, 2008
Indianapolis
78mali350 said:
how much more do those cars weigh running the big rims?

It really depends....there's a lot of them that have switched up to 3-piece forged rims from Asanti, Forgiato, Auto Couture, etc...

I know the forged 22's I'm looking at weigh slightly less than a cast 20" rim.

DUB rims (spinners/floaters) are extremely heavy. The ones that have them generally have extensive motor work done.

I'm going to try and get some videos together for you...

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
R/T kota said:
87Cutlass442 said:
See, this whole "form>function thing"....where did you guys get that? Did you think just because they're on bigger rims, that they're still not able to perform? There's a TON of cars that have bigger rims that can run with the best of them. Seriously. Like I said, I think ya'll have seen it done wrong so many times, ya'll dont know the right way when you see it. There's just as much engine/transmission/brake modifications as a car that's in this form, if not more. If you need examples, I'd be glad to provide them.

....and BTW, who would lift a car for 22's?! There's no need to at all...for 24's, yes...for 22's? Not at all. Nobody does that.

I respect your opinion. That's perfectly fine. In asking for ideas, you have to take the good with the bad. If NOBODY agreed with what I wanted to do, hey...that's the risk you take...you can't please everyone, BUT...just be respectful about it.

This is what form over function gets you when you try to get it to perform.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8znD7-l5Tmo

I haven't had a laugh that good in a long time!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

R/T kota

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2007
Hamilton Ontario
midwestls said:
R/T kota said:
87Cutlass442 said:
See, this whole "form>function thing"....where did you guys get that? Did you think just because they're on bigger rims, that they're still not able to perform? There's a TON of cars that have bigger rims that can run with the best of them. Seriously. Like I said, I think ya'll have seen it done wrong so many times, ya'll dont know the right way when you see it. There's just as much engine/transmission/brake modifications as a car that's in this form, if not more. If you need examples, I'd be glad to provide them.

....and BTW, who would lift a car for 22's?! There's no need to at all...for 24's, yes...for 22's? Not at all. Nobody does that.

I respect your opinion. That's perfectly fine. In asking for ideas, you have to take the good with the bad. If NOBODY agreed with what I wanted to do, hey...that's the risk you take...you can't please everyone, BUT...just be respectful about it.

I don't have time right now, but don't forget how many video's a guy could find of cars not on big rims breaking the same way, or worse. Now that you mention it maybe we can get some people to weigh there 14" or however wide they are slicks. Mounted up I bet they don't weigh any less then the average 22" wheel/tire combo.

Difference is, those guys are making big power with a slick. That car in the video I posted looked pretty slow off the line.

As far as the weight of the average 15 inch wheels and slick? provided we are talking about a drag race set up, the rim and slick are probably lighter than just the 22+ inch rim with out a tire.
Remember that every 1 lb off your rim and tire combo is worth approximately 4 lbs of weight to the car when you factor in rotating mass.

You also have to look at it another way. On a 22+inch wheel, your mass is father away from the hub and putting way more strain on the axle.
And the lack of side wall on the tire would prevent any of those cars to "run with the best of them" no matter how much power they have.
You need some flex in the side wall to get a big powered car to hook up.
There is a reason why you never see anything bigger than a 15 or 16 inch wheel in most drag racing classes.

R/T kota

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2007
Hamilton Ontario
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
R/T kota said:
87Cutlass442 said:

I haven't had a laugh that good in a long time!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ya I thought you would like that one.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Here are some wheel and tire weights I did with radials:

15x7 steel wheel with 225 70 R15 tire: 54lbs ea.

16x8 aluminum Enkei 92 wheel with 225 60 16: 41.8lbs

I'll also add that showing up at a dragstrip on very tall wheels will get you no respect. Oh, and most of these tall cars have stock engines and powertrains around here. Very few get built engines and better brakes.

Finally, WTF is up with the whole train horn thing? Do people who build these monstrosities need to feel big and powerful so badly that they find it necessary to annoy everyone for 5 miles around?

R/T kota

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2007
Hamilton Ontario
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
Here are some wheel and tire weights I did with radials:

15x7 steel wheel with 225 70 R15 tire: 54lbs ea.

16x8 aluminum Enkei 92 wheel with 225 60 16: 41.8lbs

I'll also add that showing up at a dragstrip on very tall wheels will get you no respect. Oh, and most of these tall cars have stock engines and powertrains around here. Very few get built engines and better brakes.

Finally, WTF is up with the whole train horn thing? Do people who build these monstrosities need to feel big and powerful so badly that they find it necessary to annoy everyone for 5 miles around?

Its all about being seen and heard. I don't know, I don't get it my self.
I was told that the big wheel craze came out of the ghetto. Apparently the bigger the wheels, the more money you have or something stupid like that.

As for the weight of a drag wheel, having a hard time finding any sight with actual weights, but I did come across a few posts in a mustang forum that said you can knock off up to 20 lbs over a stock 16 inch aluminum rim with a weld drag light and even more with a bogart wheel.

R/T kota

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2007
Hamilton Ontario
I have a pair of 27x10.5x15 mickey thompson ET streets with out rims in my kitchen. Now I don't have a scale but one tire seems lighter than a ten pound weight that I have. I know not accurate but thats all I got right now.
Also my stock 17x9 aluminum rims with 255.55.17 good years from my truck are at least 60 lbs each. Maybe more.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
A Weld Draglite in 15x 8.5 is 14.8 lbs with no tire.

If you have a bathroom scale, put one of the slicks on it to see what the weight is.

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
i seriouslt doubt 60 pounds each, I work at a tire place, I mess with rims and tires all day long, the heaviest wheels ive ever touched are my regal wheels they have to weigh 50 pounds, alluminum wheels cannot pssibley weigh that much unless Ive gotten a lot stronger all of a sudden. or you are including tire weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor