DSC01443.jpg

its a little messy but you get the picture...let me know what you guys think

SLICK79WGN

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2008
LaPorte,Tx
here is what I did to my wagon and it dropped the interior heat way down
SLICK79WGN said:
I say do it yourself it is really easy I did the two piece one in my wagon and it came out great

SLICK79WGN said:
first thing I did was to remove the headliner board then tear out all the factory tar paper on the roof and put in a layer of "Quickroof" it is like dynamat just way cheaper 15.00 for a 6" x 16' roll
doors_quiet_1.jpg

and here it is in my wagon I used 2 rolls of the stuff for complete coverage
normal_DSCN0895.JPG

the put a complete layer of thermal barrier
normal_DSCN0896.JPG

normal_DSCN0897.JPG

then stripped the headliner board down with a hand wire brush to remove all the old foam then used 3m hi strength adhesive and alot of it to put up the new headliner material
normal_DSCN0906.JPG

Now I am waiting on the clips that I ordered to come in to put up the second section of headliner and the garnish moulding

here is the thread
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12495

Larryg

Greasemonkey
Jun 6, 2008
western Mass
I do siding and insulation so I'm wondering about what that stuff will do for the temps in your car. I'm pretty sure it will retain heat. It may not make a big difference as it wont be exposed but it will be warmer between the headliner and roof.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
One of the things I would do is get some spray in waxy rust proofing from your local body supply jobber. Use that to spray into all the nooks and crannys around the top of the roof where you can't spray with the paint. I forget the exact name of it, but I know it is made by 3M and comes in a big can. I would also take out the seat belt reel pockets and clean out all the accumulated dirt that is no doubt in the quarter panel after 20+ years. Use a vacuum first, then flush it with a hose until it is clean. There are drain holes that will let the water out. If they do not, then this is a good time to clean them out. After it dries, I would paint the metal in the corners or anywhere it is rusted. When it is dry, go over it with the rustproofing spray.

SLICK79WGN

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2008
LaPorte,Tx
Larryg said:
I do siding and insulation so I'm wondering about what that stuff will do for the temps in your car. I'm pretty sure it will retain heat. It may not make a big difference as it wont be exposed but it will be warmer between the headliner and roof.

I do know after it sits out in the sun all day it is about 20-30 degrees cooler than it used to be inside when I open it and get in from work

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
Some ppl use the thick bed liner coat stuff. I would stay away from that as much as I could. It has it's purpose, and preventing rust isn't one of them. That's for something thats going to be scratched up, it doesn't mean it's more rust preventative than regular paint.

If you even need to coat it at all, i'd just rough it up and spray a primer/paint on it. After all you're going to have padding and carpet underneath so wouldn't be worried about scratching it up. The main reason to use paint - if rust comes up in the future, you're going to shoot yourself if you need to sand all that bed liner coating off.

You can also sand the problem spots to bare metal and spray with a general rust cure you get at the auto store. then primer/paint - this is the only way to kill rust in the problem areas

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
...this is one area u will kick yourself later for not doing it right the first time ,just think of all those g bodys u seen with messed up floors ...........sand it all down to bare metal and take your time do it right,you can even do your truck also like this then buy Rust Encapsulator from eastwood 1 gallon is around $100.00 give it 2 coats and paint over it and your set

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
nycutlass said:
...this is one area u will kick yourself later for not doing it right the first time ,just think of all those g bodys u seen with messed up floors ...........sand it all down to bare metal and take your time do it right,you can even do your truck also like this then buy Rust Encapsulator from eastwood 1 gallon is around $100.00 give it 2 coats and paint over it and your set

Did you look at the pictures? The roof and floors are perfect... I wouldn't touch them.
Just clean it up and stick whatever insulation you choose to use in the and you'll be fine.

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
Blake442 said:
nycutlass said:

Did you look at the pictures? The roof and floors are perfect... I wouldn't touch them.
Just clean it up and stick whatever insulation you choose to use in the and you'll be fine.
i sure did see the pictures and the corners look like it has some rust and the paint is starting to whiten up alittle in the middle so this tells me the paint is starting to break down !!!

cutty559

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 29, 2009
Porterville, California
nycutlass said:
Blake442 said:
nycutlass said:

i sure did see the pictures and the corners look like it has some rust and the paint is starting to whiten up alittle in the middle so this tells me the paint is starting to break down !!!

thanx for all the input guys

the corners are actually just really dirty and its not rust i assure u that its just like dirt, i still need to clean that up.

this weekend i should b going to my parents house thats where my cars are at and ill b working on it a lil more. as soon as i clean that up ill post more picks and then we'll go from there.

again thanx for all the advisse guys i really appreciate u taking the time and helping me out

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor