Interior advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutty559

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 29, 2009
Porterville, California
so i finally got some time to rough up and spray some rust reformer on the floor of my car and here are some pics i took

DSC01582.jpg

DSC01583.jpg

DSC01585.jpg

DSC01586.jpg

DSC01587.jpg

DSC01588.jpg

DSC01589.jpg

DSC01590.jpg

i finished sprayn the whole floor but my cameras batt died so i gotta go back and take some more pics of the thing finished.
Next am planing on just sprayn some primer and then dynamating the entire floor. after that put some insulation and finish with the carpet.

Any input is greatly appreciated so let me knw what u think and any other ideas u have that would help me. thanx

[email protected]

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2009
Wisconsin
Cover That Primer! Primers' job is to be porous to hold the paint, NOW the primer itself will yearn to hold moisture...cover that primer with paint(or whatever top coat you plan on using) immediately.

Those are some damn clean floors, I wouldn't have worried about it.

Personally, I believe in the use of bedliner, It's the waterproof protection that it offers that has me sold. It will come off with with paint stripper if removal is ever necessary.

carmangary

G-Body Guru
Oct 13, 2009
As far as what I could see, there was nothing wrong with those floors the way they were. They could have used some touch up paint where it had been rubbed raw or chip but other than that leave it. If there is some rust that I didn't see the best thing is to sand it out as best you can then use something like Dupont metal prep to neutralize it then paint it with some POR15 or Corroless then topcoat it with something else. No reason to be too pretty under carpet.

I definitely wouldn't go with bedliner there. Just adds to the weight of the car for no reason. Gallons of paint adds up in terms of weight.

carmangary

G-Body Guru
Oct 13, 2009
Just something to match the rest of the paint. You really don't need any if you use a sealing type of pain (POR-15, Corroless, etc). Only time you would really need it is if you used a porous primer surfacer which wouldn't even make sense in that situation.

cutty559

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 29, 2009
Porterville, California
here are 2 pics of my primmered black floor from 1 week ago

already painted the floor silver and will be posting some pics in a few days

let me knw what u guys think

DSC01596.jpg

DSC01597.jpg

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Looks good.

So did you cut out your rear seat bracing? Your putting it back in right?

cutty559

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 29, 2009
Porterville, California
FE3X CLONE said:
Looks good.

So did you cut out your rear seat bracing? Your putting it back in right?

i acually got it like that....but wat will happen if i dont put one bak?

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
the bracing helps in twisting of the body !! if you dont have one to weld back in i would weld in some 1/4" thick 1"wide flat stock and make a X in that area

i can almost bet they took it out to fit speakers of some kind

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Yep, those braces are there to help keep the body from twisting. I can't remember which or if both had it but GNX's/GN's had extra bracing here from the factory. Similar to this:

pic24.jpg

On my '87 I did like 'nycutlass' mentioned and welded in cross bracing similar to the setup above. However I also welded the two openings completely closed with 18ga sheet metal:

IMG_0126.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor