Interior dye

Status
Not open for further replies.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I can spot a painted part. And you ask,
No you can’t. Only way you can tell, is if it’s scratched. I did some seat fillers for a 65 442. They’re made from steel, and have a vinyl grain. They were painted using DuPont vinyl colorant. They look like vinyl. When a professional does a job, you won’t be able to tell. Sorry, that’s just how it is. It’s obvious from your posts, that you are anything but. Youre putting down a lot of people on this site that have dyed their interior parts, and duplicated the grain, yet you seem to have zero experience.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Burd

Greasemonkey
Apr 7, 2021
Detroit
Ok,where to start, here’s 2 GM armrests. Both in 62 camel. The origins,s were molded in color, people tell me they were not. I bought 2 new ones back in1984. Both were ordered in the color. NOT PAINTED. in the 90’s Gm sprayed black armrests. Here’s a molded one, and a painted one. Even Stevie wonder can see the molded one, lol. Now, nos is gone from the retailers, now you get a bad color repop that you need to spray.
originals molded in color are out there, like I said I just found a package tray, the vinyl is a side off from the sprayed card board.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 99
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 116

Burd

Greasemonkey
Apr 7, 2021
Detroit
I see cars that the whole interior matches, first give away. The headliners were a shade off, the dash doesn’t March the crotch panels, if you paint an armrest it doesn’t hold up, neither do panels that the rubber touch, my buddys light blue interior has red spots showing through, he’s now looking for orig blue panels, yes, hard to find, but their out there.
repop PCs are another story, one supplier blew up one night on my forum, the guys started jabbing after he said you gotta paint molded in color PCs. 😂 so I made a meme

Attachments

• 1ACACDF9-71D2-4528-AFDD-9FDF2D42F803.jpeg
    1ACACDF9-71D2-4528-AFDD-9FDF2D42F803.jpeg
    16 KB · Views: 94
Reactions: 1 user

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
IF ...
- A guy was lucky enough to find a NOS door panel
- Was financially able to purchase
- Went to the garage to install
Guess what?? IT DON"T MATCH the other 40+ plus year old interior parts.

Paint matching parts is almost inevitable if you want a nice looking interior.

I applaud the members on this forum ( or any forum ), that have the time & money to source NOS parts for their car, but 99% of the others will be extremely happy with the results they get from a properly prepped, and painted interior. Those same people will receive as many compliments from their labor, as the guy who snapped on a NOS replacement that cost 5x more $$$.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Burd

Greasemonkey
Apr 7, 2021
Detroit
The panels my buddy painted and new panels too, plastics need a mold release to get the part out of the mold, you can never get all the oil off, painted parts look great till you use your car.
ive been lucky, the parts I’ve found in nos match real close, they never matched 100% from the factory. Whispch is why they look better.
he was telling me of a video where a guy puts a little heat on a cleaned part, and you can see he oils come out. Like the film that develops on the interior glass, residue from the plastics.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
The panels my buddy painted and new panels too, plastics need a mold release to get the part out of the mold, you can never get all the oil off, painted parts look great till you use your car.
ive been lucky, the parts I’ve found in nos match real close, they never matched 100% from the factory. Whispch is why they look better.
he was telling me of a video where a guy puts a little heat on a cleaned part, and you can see he oils come out. Like the film that develops on the interior glass, residue from the plastics.
Is your buddy a professional?

Burd

Greasemonkey
Apr 7, 2021
Detroit
You mean a painter, no. But he did the cleaning, prep, adhesion promoter, yada yada, in the end you got painted sh*t. Lol I had 2 seat backs done in the paint shop where I used to work, the best of the best is there, aside from the look of being painted they looked great, while installing the ratchet bumped the back, the dye came off there a little. I ended up selling the burg painted backs for a like new set that was taken out of a car in the 80’s. They weren’t cheap, but their not painted. And no one know it they were in the car from the factory. He used SEM, SEM sucks in my opinion. Backyard painters stuff.

Jakefromstatefarm

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2014
SEM works, but to get the best results, it is prep but most importantly is dying the parts the same color they were... Example, don't try to turn a camel dash black or vise versa... If you are refreshing a black dash with black, or a camel dash with a fresh coat of camel the results will be better long term (like burd is saying about using the car, scratching seat backs, etc ...)

If proper prep is done, and proper after care is done, sem is good enough for most. Now I will say, mixing the color yourself and using an hvlp gun will make a huge difference as well.

(Which way is this circle jerk session going again? Left or right?)

Reactions: 1 users

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
There is nothing correct about this statement. Interior parts suppliers do not spray injection mold tooling with mold release for every part. Occasionally mold release is used for start up but those parts are thrown in the trash. I’d like to see the video you’re referring to. Heating an injection molded part will not cause mold release oils to come out. Heat over time does cause flow modifiers, plasticizers and volatile‘s in the plastic to bloom. This is especially a problem with PVC instrument panels and is why you need to clean the inside of your windshield from time to time but it does not leave the surface of the part oily. If anything it is drier and leads to cracking.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor