Interior dye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burd

Greasemonkey
Apr 7, 2021
Detroit
Well,if you think people don’t know you bought a case of SEM, it’s like the guy wearing a toupee, no one knows. 😂

Attachments

• 926E01E5-B3D0-44FE-A456-152E1B9103D3.png
    926E01E5-B3D0-44FE-A456-152E1B9103D3.png
    880.3 KB · Views: 90

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
The factory "correct' way might be an interior w/several different shades of a particular color code. That doesn't make it 'better'; it makes it the way it was.

That mismatch was as good as expected @ the time because manufacturers weren't going to pony-up the $$ for anything that would have actually been better. 'Close enough' was good enough to sell cars for the manufacturers investment.

I don't purchase & tweak cars to make them look as good as the OEM's 'good enough'. I care enough to design/re-work things that match/flow better than 1978-88's era OEM standards of the time.
If you don't like that & turn your nose up to it? It's just an added bonus :cool:(y)

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 5 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I always paint my interior pieces lime green first and then paint the final color over that so if it gets scratched and someone sees the lime green showing through and think it's the original color and they say thank goodness you painted over that.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
So your saying making everything match is better?
original, is better.
Original OEM is original OEM.
Whatever it took to keep costs down was better for the OEM's (& still is) as long as it's close enough. But closer matched pieces look better. Then & now.

Obviously a 'full concours', point type, graded restoration would require legit original parts. But I & many others here from this site that own/drive these cars for the enjoyment of just having them won't ever have to be concerned with that end of the spectrum.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
NOS g-body interior parts were unobtainium even 30 years ago... if you find any they are molded dark blue and that molded blue color doesn't match the 1980-82 Dark Blue, 1983-84 Royal blue or the 1985-88 Dark blue... the console parts you do happen to find in colors were painted from the factory originaly with exception to the vinyl pads which NOS were only offered in black for. I have a sage green NOS dash and an NOS black dash and have seen an NOS blue one come up but that's it, 3 NOS dashes in the past 20 years...
About the only colored NOS parts you can find that weren't blue were arm rests, probably seen 3 in the past 20 years ever come up, steering wheels and seat belts... I've seen probably 3 NOS 442 upper door panels ever come up and a few monte NOS ones... these cars weren't viewed to be collectors that much when new like the Trans Ams were.

Reactions: 3 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
So your saying making everything match is better?
original, is better.
These are g bodies, not million dollar cars. Late second gen f bodies aren’t high dollar cars either. Not worth spending big bucks on NOS parts for the interior. Majority of cars in this group are driver quality any way.

Burd

Greasemonkey
Apr 7, 2021
Detroit
See how it all matches, lol
i had to buy a black console lid ( council) lol you can tell it’s sprayed. It’s GM but all i. Luke find in the 90’s was black. I’m still looking for an OG camel one. It’s out there, some schmo has a stack under his bed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 102
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    722.6 KB · Views: 100
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor