interior light fuse keeps blowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

19MC79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 30, 2011
My interior dome light and under dash light fuse blows when i open the door. someone told me that it could be the door switch so i pulled it out, worked it around a bit and it still keeps blowing. the fuse blows really clean, when i pull the fuse its not black at all. any help would be much appreciated. thank you.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
could be a number of things. The ground wiring in the interior is weird in this car, most of the grounds all run from one point in the harness, and they are clamped together wrapped up in tape. The first thing to do is follow your interior light wiring from the light down to where its connected on the ground posts and then the hotwire to the fusebox, this is where you'll likely find the issue. To find if its the light just bypass fuse and run a +/- wire to your battery or a 12v hot post.

...to find if its the door switch do the same hook up a 12v on the switch to see if the lamp blows there too

19MC79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 30, 2011
custom442 said:
could be a number of things. The ground wiring in the interior is weird in this car, most of the grounds all run from one point in the harness, and they are clamped together wrapped up in tape. The first thing to do is follow your interior light wiring from the light down to where its connected on the ground posts and then the hotwire to the fusebox, this is where you'll likely find the issue. To find if its the light just bypass fuse and run a +/- wire to your battery or a 12v hot post.

...to find if its the door switch do the same hook up a 12v on the switch to see if the lamp blows there too
my bad the dome light doesn't blow just the fuse under the dash, it blows when i open the door. should i trace the door switch to the fuse box and see if i find anything?

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
What I'd do is first follow the hot and ground from the dome light and near the visor screws down the a pillar and make sure at some point before its connected to the door switch that the dome light does work. Then put power at the switch while the doors open. If that works then work your way back from the switch to the fuses

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor