Is anyone else in the gbody community annoyed by the gold diggers?

hunter_alexander

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2008
Erie Pa
The reason I ask this is, holy sh*t, I have been building these cars since 91. All I see now online is crap cars, 19k, 35k, and they have so many problems. I get it, you can ask what you want. Caveat blah blah blah. On facebook, craigslist, ebay, all the same. Does everyone think there 8x cutlass is worth 25k when its a plain jane cutlass rusted out, plenty of issues?

Some old timers on here will remember my build up of my 87, piece by piece. I dont post much any more I have watched covid and stupid ppl run sh*t sideways.

this is a sort of rant. But man, I see cars I would probably buy, but if you are asking 19k for a cutlass, nothing special, and the headliner is sagging, rust in the doors, I dont want to even talk to you because "I know what i got" syndrome.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
1985 I was buying and selling those cheap azz 68-72 442s and such. No issues finding them rust free here in the south. Had to pay something in three figures to get a super nice 72 442 with a 3 speed manual on the floor with Hurst shifter and bench seat. Silver with black interior and stripes. I had to pass on a high dollar well-kept 70 W-30 because I didn’t quite have the 3500 asking price at the time.

Fast forward to 1989 and bought a 71 442 for 600. Then, it started. Now those same cars were suddenly 5 and 6 grand just to start. And the prices kept climbing.

In the 90s, the G-bodies were still everywhere and plentiful and cheap. As time marched on and now the G’s are getting long in the tooth plus getting scarce. Thus prices are rising. Same cycle, different body styles.

Unless you’re trying to buy one then I wouldn’t waste energy hating the game. But if you think you’re going to get a fantastic deal on a low mileage G, you’ll need to turn over a bunch of rocks. These are the times you end up wishing you would have kept the car or cars you sold.

It’s a good time to be a seller. Not so great to be a buyer.

• Agree
Reactions: 7 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Welcome to post-Covid 'Murica

It's everything....daily beaters, collectibles, real estate.

Reactions: 4 users

hunter_alexander

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2008
Erie Pa
The reason I ask this is, holy sh*t, I have been building these cars since 91. All I see now online is crap cars, 19k, 35k, and they have so many problems. I get it, you can ask what you want. Caveat blah blah blah. On facebook, craigslist, ebay, all the same. Does everyone think there 8x cutlass is worth 25k when its a plain jane cutlass rusted out, plenty of issues?

Some old timers on here will remember my build up of my 87, piece by piece. I dont post much any more I have watched covid and stupid ppl run sh*t sideways.

this is a sort of rant. But man, I see cars I would probably buy, but if you are asking 19k for a cutlass, nothing special, and the headliner is sagging, rust in the doors, I dont want to even talk to you because "I know what i got" syndrome.
Oh let me elaborate for the uninitiated. Just a few.
$_57.JPG

Black tape on the seat? and missing the seat a
$_57.JPG

Ok, its a decent car. Id buy it, bucket seat, hardtop. Dont even want to deal with them.

Next....
Another 87. Wow, yeah, I want to buy this with the respray on the bottom of the doors for 20k
$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Nice headliner

Nice stain in the back seat
$_57.JPG

Now to be honest, its not a bad car, maybe a good starting point. But 19k 20K? And the pics of the undercarriage look painted as well, just like the doors. So I cant trust it.

Next...26k. And they cant even get the seatbelt holder on the drivers side seat?
$_57.JPG

Dont even get me started on the drivers side seat. :D

wrong tail lights for a 87. Pieced together polish it and make money right?
$_57.JPG

Again, not a bad car, but not 50k miles. Look at that steering wheel. That is over 100k. 9k tops. "oh wait its a ttop" lol

Next

$_57.JPG

Really, your asking 25k, not the original wheels, obvious respray, the 442 is crooked as ****, once again, wrong tail lights, again, not a bad car, Id buy it, but at the price they are asking, dont even want to bother talking to them. These are all on ebay. Craiglist is just as bad.

Oh now we get into the regular sellers, not the resellers....

8K you say? :D

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

In what reality? 3500 tops. As I have no idea what the underside looks like.

Next

86, actually not bad. Correct tail lights, car shows some wear. Not a hardtop, but a good looking car. 14k you say. Um no. 4 figure car.
$_57.JPG
s-l1600.jpg

Now this, (I'm partial to burgandy on Cutlasses) But this, I do like it. Looks clean,
$_57.JPG

Oh the headliner
$_57.JPG

its a hard top, burgandy, bucket seats, but really? Almost 17k? How about 11k- maybe. And the real problem is everything looks good in pictures.

Next....

This one isnt too bad. Needs a touch, but not a bad car. A couple k too much in my opinion at 12.5k

s-l1600.jpg

This one, I have to say is actually nice to me. Even the bucket seat drivers side isnt busted up. Price for this, yeah Ill give it a pass. Not a hard top, but for someone at 13k, Yeah I could see it. No cracks in the dash, weather stripping looks good. Rest of the car pretty clean actually for my dumbass opinion.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

And the best worst I saved for last. lol

Really? 28k? It was 35K 6 months ago.

$_57.JPG

Someone threw a repaint on a cutlass, threw on torque thrust wheels, and never finished it. No chrome beading along the front header panel,
$_57.JPG

hence the 2 openings in the side of the header panel bumper cover.

Ohh custom interior,
$_57.JPG

Umm you wanna finish the job, the seat belt holder on the bucket seat is crap. Like flaking and not even the right color? Grey painted black and flaking. WTF?

I wont get into the gloss of the dashboard, but I will get into the Um, cigarette lighter socket missing?
$_57.JPG
So, new head unit, and thats missing? Wait, for 28k? Sign me up!!!

Not even any juke padding between the back seat and the trunk. You shouldnt see the foam of the back seat for those uninitiated.
$_57.JPG

Can you match a color for 28k?
$_57.JPG

Ok, you get my point. Rant over. I would love to buy another Cutlass or 442. But until ppl get realistic, sorry, I aint playing your game

hunter_alexander

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2008
Erie Pa
Oh let me elaborate for the uninitiated. Just a few.
$_57.JPG

Black tape on the seat? and missing the seat a
$_57.JPG

Ok, its a decent car. Id buy it, bucket seat, hardtop. Dont even want to deal with them.

Next....
Another 87. Wow, yeah, I want to buy this with the respray on the bottom of the doors for 20k
$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Nice headliner

Nice stain in the back seat
$_57.JPG

Now to be honest, its not a bad car, maybe a good starting point. But 19k 20K? And the pics of the undercarriage look painted as well, just like the doors. So I cant trust it.

Next...26k. And they cant even get the seatbelt holder on the drivers side seat?
$_57.JPG

Dont even get me started on the drivers side seat. :D

wrong tail lights for a 87. Pieced together polish it and make money right?
$_57.JPG

Again, not a bad car, but not 50k miles. Look at that steering wheel. That is over 100k. 9k tops. "oh wait its a ttop" lol

Next

$_57.JPG

Really, your asking 25k, not the original wheels, obvious respray, the 442 is crooked as ****, once again, wrong tail lights, again, not a bad car, Id buy it, but at the price they are asking, dont even want to bother talking to them. These are all on ebay. Craiglist is just as bad.

Oh now we get into the regular sellers, not the resellers....

8K you say? :D

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

In what reality? 3500 tops. As I have no idea what the underside looks like.

Next

86, actually not bad. Correct tail lights, car shows some wear. Not a hardtop, but a good looking car. 14k you say. Um no. 4 figure car.
$_57.JPG
s-l1600.jpg

Now this, (I'm partial to burgandy on Cutlasses) But this, I do like it. Looks clean,
$_57.JPG

Oh the headliner
$_57.JPG

its a hard top, burgandy, bucket seats, but really? Almost 17k? How about 11k- maybe. And the real problem is everything looks good in pictures.

Next....

This one isnt too bad. Needs a touch, but not a bad car. A couple k too much in my opinion at 12.5k

s-l1600.jpg

This one, I have to say is actually nice to me. Even the bucket seat drivers side isnt busted up. Price for this, yeah Ill give it a pass. Not a hard top, but for someone at 13k, Yeah I could see it. No cracks in the dash, weather stripping looks good. Rest of the car pretty clean actually for my dumbass opinion.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

And the best worst I saved for last. lol

Really? 28k? It was 35K 6 months ago.

$_57.JPG

Someone threw a repaint on a cutlass, threw on torque thrust wheels, and never finished it. No chrome beading along the front header panel,
$_57.JPG

hence the 2 openings in the side of the header panel bumper cover.

Ohh custom interior,
$_57.JPG

Umm you wanna finish the job, the seat belt holder on the bucket seat is crap. Like flaking and not even the right color? Grey painted black and flaking. WTF?

I wont get into the gloss of the dashboard, but I will get into the Um, cigarette lighter socket missing?
$_57.JPG
So, new head unit, and thats missing? Wait, for 28k? Sign me up!!!

Not even any juke padding between the back seat and the trunk. You shouldnt see the foam of the back seat for those uninitiated.
$_57.JPG

Can you match a color for 28k?
$_57.JPG

Ok, you get my point. Rant over. I would love to buy another Cutlass or 442. But until ppl get realistic, sorry, I aint playing your game
So for some reason some of the pics didnt come throught. The last car was this, was 35k, now 28k or something

hunter_alexander

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2008
Erie Pa
1985 I was buying and selling those cheap azz 68-72 442s and such. No issues finding them rust free here in the south. Had to pay something in three figures to get a super nice 72 442 with a 3 speed manual on the floor with Hurst shifter and bench seat. Silver with black interior and stripes. I had to pass on a high dollar well-kept 70 W-30 because I didn’t quite have the 3500 asking price at the time.

Fast forward to 1989 and bought a 71 442 for 600. Then, it started. Now those same cars were suddenly 5 and 6 grand just to start. And the prices kept climbing.

In the 90s, the G-bodies were still everywhere and plentiful and cheap. As time marched on and now the G’s are getting long in the tooth plus getting scarce. Thus prices are rising. Same cycle, different body styles.

Unless you’re trying to buy one then I wouldn’t waste energy hating the game. But if you think you’re going to get a fantastic deal on a low mileage G, you’ll need to turn over a bunch of rocks. These are the times you end up wishing you would have kept the car or cars you sold.

It’s a good time to be a seller. Not so great to be a buyer.
I get that they arent as common as they once were. I am happy to pay a reasonable price for one. But my examples are ppl trying to play the game, overpriced for the uninitiated. I have no problem paying good money for a good car. But man, show me a good car at a realistic price, or even them making plenty off me. But a good car. That is the question.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Its doesn't matter what you're into, it's just how it is.

Unfortunately- it's just getting started as well. You want to say a functional- but incorrect- car that's got some rough edges but overall looks decent is worth $3-4k on average... whelp- news flash- pick a new car. Do an online build and price. Then look at the monthly payment- worse yet financed per 1,000 at current interest rates.

You're probably talking $800-1200/mo for something average. Not the cheapest- not the most expensive. A functional used car is going to bring more than 3 month payment on a new one. Always has- always will.

So- back in the day of a $3k decent gbody needing work, could you buy an average new car around $300/mo? Sure you could.

I consider it to be a rule of 10s. A decent- but age obsolete, used car has for most of the time I can remember carried a price 10x a monthly new car payment.

Kind of how there's always going to be an imbalance where starter houses on postage stamp lots will always sell for a monthly payment not less than apartment rental rates. Why? Well, there's always going to be lots of people with good enough credit to bid up the housing stocks and pay the same as their rent costs- but- rationalize that at least they pay themselves over time instead of a landlord. So- you start with whatever landlords can get away with before vacancy hurts their bottom line, then make the corresponding price equal as a minimum what rentals go for. Any less and the well-to-do buy them to rent out getting a free residual asset. Shortages can push prices *higher* but that's your baseline.

Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
wslr8.jpg

If you've ever wanted to own a middle-of-the-road equipped '79, I'll let mine go for a generous $79,999.

IknowwhatIgot, let me know.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Going to a warehouse classic car consignment dealer and expecting a good car for a fair price is like going to the strip club to find a good wife.

Ain't going to happen bud

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 12 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Going to a warehouse classic car consignment dealer and expecting a good car for a fair price is like going to the strip club to find a good wife.

Ain't going to happen bud
But let's look at what we can say:

Both can give you a bang for your buck?

Both likely to have been ridden hard and put away wet?

Both places can be filled with fun rides?

Both cases it's cheaper to rent than to buy?

Both are chock full of things tend to have a bunch of cosmetic work and plastic filler?

Contents of both look much worse in natural light?

Higher mileage versions of either hold less value and desirability?

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor