It's not normal

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
My question- is it normal to want a car that is over 30 years old? It's not normal is it? And, yet I do. Can anyone explain the logic behind this feeling I have?

Nostalgia most likely. Nothing wrong with that.

I just bought a 78 5 spd Cutlass a couple months ago. Absolutely no need for it. But I really wanted it so now it's mine. These things are nothing more than adult toys and who doesn't like to play with cool toys?

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 4 users

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
My question- is it normal to want a car that is over 30 years old? It's not normal is it?

What's wrong with not following the herd? Just because all the other lemmings are jumping off the cliff doesn't mean it's the right decision for you.

I don't need a 33 year old car. There are 1/2 dozen things that I should spend the money on (... new daily driver).

<pshaw> That's the boring, conformist way out. I think this movie clip says it best:

Give me your story. What made you buy a G-body car that you don't really NEED?

In my case, I wanted something a bit outrageous--old school simplicity without any of the modern safety sissy crap that isolates the driver from the experience. I had envisioned driving an engine, and I had to find a car to wrap around it. The G-Body was the lightest platform (even with its full frame) that was commonly available and had enough engine bay real estate to accept whatever powerplant I might drop into it. I was open to any brand and almost any year; I just so happened to find an '80 GP that was solid so that's what I bought.

I sourced a 454 for dirt cheap and rebuilt it with all forged components. I set it up for a carburetor, which I then borrowed from a friend. I dropped it in, hooked up the 4L80E, and have been having fun ever since. This car makes all the right noises (full-length headers + Pypes 3" mandrel exhaust system), all the right vibrations (entire car shakes at idle in gear), and always feels like you are just barely on the edge of control. Indeed, there is no traction control, no stability control, and no drive-by-wire computer that tries to smooth out the power delivery--it can be downright brutal. Thanks to the TrueTrac limited slip, this car steers itself from both ends. At WOT, I genuinely feel like this car is actively trying to kill me... and I love it for that.

I have owned a 2006 Mustang GT 5-spd, a 2001 Camaro SS 6-spd, and a 2008 Charger R/T. All three of them offered pleasant, isolated driving... with good power in reserve if the need arose. You could drive every one of those cars in the rain with only one finger on the wheel. Hell, I even commuted through the winter in the Charger and it was perfectly safe. None of those cars were as visceral as my Grand Prix--not by a long shot. They were all very boring.

My G-Body has so much more character than all of them combined. My car guy friends understand this. Most regular folks don't get it. That's okay; they can go out and sink $30k (or more) on whatever new vehicle appeals to them. I'll still be driving my old car with a huge smile on my face.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 8 users

JAMES L EUBANK

Apprentice
Feb 18, 2018
CLARKSBURG, WV
If you think anyone of us will try to talk some sense into you, you are delusional enough to fit right into this forum...:p
Thanks everyone. Makes me feel normal again. If I ever get to feeling bad about starting up this addiction again, it's good to know I can always come to g body anonamous lol

• Optimistic
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Thanks everyone. Makes me feel normal again. If I ever get to feeling bad about starting up this addiction again, it's good to know I can always come to g body anonamous lol

You'll be a welcome addiction to this forum and your well on your road to recovery since acknowledging the addiction is the first step, the only problem is once your here you'll never get to the 2nd step....:friday:

• Agree

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
JAMES L EUBANK said:
My question- is it normal to want a car that is over 30 years old? It's not normal is it? And, yet I do. Can anyone explain the logic behind this feeling I have?

If you can explain "normal" to me I'm sure I can help you. I'm like the TV commercial - I saw it and I just had to have it. My latest purchase

IMG_5670.JPG

• Friendly
Reactions: 5 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Unfulfilled quest. When I used to drive one daily, I had no money and patched the thing together with baling wire. Now I have zero time but can afford to have one as a project and remake it my way. You could also pour a lot of beer through your kidneys.

Just do yourself a favor and find one that doesn't require a tetanus shot just looking at it...

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
Woman have memories of the guy that took there Virginity an got away, men have memories of the car that got away. Seems pretty simple on why your having this issue!

abadwillys

Greasemonkey
May 30, 2016
NY
My G-Body has so much more character than all of them combined. My car guy friends understand this. Most regular folks don't get it. That's okay; they can go out and sink $30k (or more) on whatever new vehicle appeals to them. I'll still be driving my old car with a huge smile on my face.

Right On!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor