Jeep Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Thanks Mark, I read that it needs to be cycled 40 times....I can't count that high though

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I didn't get a chance to drive the Jeep today but I did start it up and it seems leaving the Jeep sit overnite cured the whine. Thanks everyone for all your help

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the belt seems to skip a bit, probably ruined it with fluid. I should have removed the belt before I did anything.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
So I go to start ti today to bring it in to get winter tires installed. It started for a second, vibrated and shut down. It would turn over and it fired trying ot start but it wouldn't fire up. I got it started putting the gas pedal to the floor and it ran real rough at idle. I played with the gas pedal and it ran smoother but ran like it has a miss at idle. If I turn the steering wheel at idle the engine almost stalls. No check engine light so I think it's either the TPS and/or the crank sensor....anyone have any 4.7 problems similar to this?

Nov 4, 2012
If it ran fine the last time you drove it and if that was relatively recent, I would assume it is definitely an electrical problem. My first guess would be a faulty MAF sensor as I have seen bad MAF sensors without CELs, but a throttle position sensor is definitely a possibility, as is a crank sensor. You may want to put a scan tool on it just to make sure there are no stored codes. Also for future reference NAPA makes excellent quality hydraulic hoses. I used one on my old Lincoln Town Car and it was very high quality. Hope this helps.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The Jeep doesn't have a MAF.....I hate computer cars, I thought computers were supposed to take the guesswork out of diagnosing cars. I'm ready to scrap this thing.

Nov 4, 2012
I want to know so I can try and research any pattern failures. Very true, the computers seem to only complicate matters more. Diagnostics are based off what the computer says and what the technician observes. When it comes to vehicle problems diagnostics especially, they typically complicate matters.

Nov 4, 2012
After doing a bit more research, it seems that the Crank Position Sensor is somewhat of a common problem in all years of the 4.7. The engine will go into a "fail safe mode" and disable the ignition system, leaving you with a no spark condition which would explain your stall. I don't think it's a TPS because that really would have little to do with a rough idle and stalling, more likely you would have problems with surging and bogging mostly at highway speeds, not to say I'm totally ruling it out. I still would run an OBDII scan tool in it to see if the computer has any stored codes that confirm my suspicions. I hope this helps a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor