Just a rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
rustyroger said:
I thought it was only over here that driving automatic equalled penis reduction.
The whole point of American cars to me is comfortable cruising, most old time American muscle would be blown away by later European hot hatches, don't take my word for it, there are plenty of road tests with timed figures to back up this statement.

Roger.

I'll let you know, I am going to a road course in the fall that my son with his twin turbo BMW and his friends with their Audi's go to. They asked me to come cause my son is curious to see if my car can beat his time around the track and he's thinking I'll take the Audi's. True my car isn't anything close to stock and I do work on race cars so I have a few suspension tricks up my sleeve but my car is nothing really special. All the suspension pick up points are in stock location...

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
pontiacgp said:
rustyroger said:
I thought it was only over here that driving automatic equalled penis reduction.
The whole point of American cars to me is comfortable cruising, most old time American muscle would be blown away by later European hot hatches, don't take my word for it, there are plenty of road tests with timed figures to back up this statement.

Roger.

I'll let you know, I am going to a road course in the fall that my son with his twin turbo BMW and his friends with their Audi's go to. They asked me to come cause my son is curious to see if my car can beat his time around the track and he's thinking I'll take the Audi's. True my car isn't anything close to stock and I do work on race cars so I have a few suspension tricks up my sleeve but my car is nothing really special. All the suspension pick up points are in stock location...

*Subscribed* :lol:
Please get video of this.

suffrn6

Greasemonkey
Sep 10, 2011
saint john, nb canada
rustyroger said:
Not letting a car in because it doesn't have top notch paint or has some other imperfection will kill grass roots level interest in the old car hobby, maybe call the organisers to see if the have their heads up their own asses beforehand so you can support venues that cater for enthusiasts rather than the big wallet blowhards.

I have sent an email off to the chairman of the car show and have not heard anything back from him yet. It has been 3 days. I am going to give him to the end of the week to reply to me. If he does not reply to me then I am going to send him an email once a week until he does reply. :twisted:
There have been quite a few people that are upset because their car was not allowed to enter because of paint or something the tech guy didn't like about the car. I read a post from one lady that her and her husband drove four hours to get to the show and be turned away at the gate because the car was flat black, it was an 86 Cutlass. :wtf: The guys running this show are going to make the guys that are actually building their cars on a budget not want to participate, people stop going less money coming in and then the next thing you know there is no more show. Then all the board members will be standing around scratching their head wondering where all the cars went. :blam:
And no where on their website does it state that cars 79 and newer will be subjected to tech inspection. Plain Bullshit if you ask me.

Chris

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
What were the posted/advertised rules? Was there pre-registration? If there were people at the gates arbitrarily turning cars away I might cry foul since personal taste/opinion is the standard. At events like Billet Proof they have guidelines that are clearly indicated because it is an "exclusive" event catering only to a certain type of vehicles. Being turned away from shows like that is harder to debate.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
There is a big weekend long car show in this area in August, that has been happening for almost 20 years now. Originally, there was a year restriction of 1974 & older, then after a couple of years, it was updated to 1976 & older. This year, they've updated it again to 1981 & older, UNLESS, you have a modified newer truck (up to 2011). Years ago, I tried to be allowed to participate, in the "special interest" class, but was treated VERY poorly by the show organizers, and wasn't allowed to participate. It still bothers me that my '84 Monte SS isn't allowed to participate, but I've pretty much learned to accept it. Supposedly, the main purpose of the show is to raise money for a local charity, so its curious to me that they have such restrictions, since theoretically, it would limit the amount of money that they COULD raise, but that's the way that they run the show. I've come to the conclusion that if they won't support me, I won't support them.
Its just really frustrating to have a 28 year old hobby vehicle in good condition, and not be able to get into some events.

Tuggy24g

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2008
Newtown PA
WOW first time I ever heard about not letting a certain car come to a show because of paint issues or something with the car. Most times car shows will give a date max saying only cars up till 86 or 87 are allowed. I would never ever take a vacation to that show after what you said. If a car show is not going to let cars in for petty things then it is not for me.

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
Chris all I can say is keep trying to get in touch with the chairman of the show. There is obviously either a communication problem, or there are inconsistencies in their rules which make things unclear/confusing.

1. Either make it plainly clear what is and is not allowed in the show and what are the exceptions before hand, or

2. Train and educate your staff better or whoever it is that determines what cars are and are not allowed.

Otherwise, there will be more disgruntled car enthusiasts, and it will give them a bad reputation.

One thing you can mention in your email, Chris (in addition to the above), is that you are taking this story to the newspapers if you don't hear back from him within a certain time frame.

suffrn6

Greasemonkey
Sep 10, 2011
saint john, nb canada
DRIVEN said:
What were the posted/advertised rules? Was there pre-registration? If there were people at the gates arbitrarily turning cars away I might cry foul since personal taste/opinion is the standard.

Registration For The 13th Annual Atlantic Nationals Automotive Extravaganza
July 11th-14th, 2013

Wild rides, great times, and memories to last a lifetime are what you'll find at the Atlantic Nationals Automotive Extravaganza in Moncton, New Brunswick.

Entry fees ($40) include Car, Driver, and one Spouse/Companion.
Children under 16, no charge.
Pre-register by December 31, 2012 for only $30.
January 1, 2013 and later, registration is $40.
The last day to pre-register is June 30, 2013.
Registration will available onsite during the show itself. Please see the schedule for details.

One day registrations (either Saturday or Sunday) are $20,
however, one day registrants are not eligible for the Grand Prizes.
Please note that one day registrations can only be made on that specific day and only at the registration desk.

The Atlantic Nationals is open to Street Rods, Muscle Cars, Customs, Antiques, and Special Interest Vehicles.
Vehicles must be registered to be driven on the street and must be driven into the park.
The Atlantic Nationals Committee reserves the right to refuse entries they feel do not meet this criteria.

That was taken right off the website for the car show. It does say that they can refuse some cars that don't meet the criteria for the show. They want street legal cars that can be driven into the park but then they let in a handful of super pro/super gas cars that came in on trailers. Doesn't make much sense to me. It seems whoever is paying the most money can do what they want.
The guy that was doing the tech inspection told my buddy that if his two cars were Camaro's or Mustangs that they would be in no problem at all. Said there is nothing special about an 87 Monte Carlo SS or an 80 Monte Carlo with a well built SBC with a 5 speed standard behind it. Both cars are clean and get alot of looks at all the other shows we have gone to. Seems to me that the tech guy has favorite cars that he wants to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor