Just bought a 5 speed cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

CutlassCal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 2, 2019
Very cool, looks like a very nice deal at 2k. Interior and body look decent enough at that price. Looks like you have good taste too with the Century wagon behind it.

And for generations, he’s a few years(?) too young to even be a millennial. Think it’s on to gen Z, for those who like to get up in arms about that type of thing ;).
The Wagon in the back is my dads 81 Buick century estate with 85k original miles, my dad yanked out the tired v6 and we’re in the process of LQ9 swapping it

Reactions: 4 users

Lowdollarbuild

Apprentice
Dec 12, 2018
N E Georgia
Reactions: 1 user

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
When considering the costs of building up any older vehicle , $2,000 is a good deal for anything if it's as solid as it looks in pics.

For interior, a little more cleanup, with some floor mats, a dash cap, sand & repaint a few parts with preferably SEM paint would be a good start if wanting to keep it stock. Stereo is a personal choice for any vehicle & a whole other budget story.
Any old drivetrain is a high budget area if you want to upgrade to modern or can be reasonable to keep if in good shape, regardless of vehicle choice.
Brakes are cheap to keep stock & can be from affordably upgraded to expensively bad *ss.
Suspension parts can badly need work if none was done yet, can be moderately cheap to expensively upgraded.

You got a good platform to work on & can find pretty much any info you need & free online help here & a few other sites, so enjoy. Many of us older guys ae glad to advise anytime.

michmalibuman

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2017
Great find, I love pedal cars. :cool:

Attachments

• 81.jpeg
    81.jpeg
    854.3 KB · Views: 181
Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The T50 5-speed doesn't have a lot of torque capacity so plan on changing to a beefier transmission if you put more power in the car. If it were me, I'd keep it like it is, make small improvements and put a lot of miles on it before making any big changes.

• Agree
Reactions: 7 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The T50 5-speed doesn't have a lot of torque capacity so plan on changing to a beefier transmission if you put more power in the car. If it were me, I'd keep it like it is, make small improvements and put a lot of miles on it before making any big changes.
Which is why exhaust and a 3.08 gear should not kill the T-50 and not be the slowest car on the road.

Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Dope.
Put a 3.xx series gear and a posi unit in there give the 260 a good tune up, good dual exhaust (2.25" is good, 2.5" for future upgrades or swaps), and it will feel a lot peppier.

Reactions: 2 users

paul.m

Master Mechanic
Oct 20, 2018
Welcome from NE GA , You did good ! any time you can purchase a manual shift G body that,s drive-able and in decent shape its a good buy . Hang on to it if you can , the day will come when the factory manual shift,s G body,s will bring your investment dollars back home .

Reactions: 1 users

Red78Calais4speed

Greasemonkey
Feb 16, 2013
Leominster, Massachusetts
I kind of wish I had kept one of the 3 manual transmission Cutlasses I've owned. (4 if you count the parts car I dragged out of a barn in Maine after a 15 year slumber.) My best chance to get one back would be my 1978 Olds 442 project with the factory 5-speed. I sold it 2 years ago to an older gentleman who lives 2 towns over from me. Said he was going to do the cosmetics and get it back on the road but he hasn't. I accidentally found it last year when a construction and paving project forced me to take a couple of detours around it onto some side streets I've never been down before. Come to find out, he gave it to his son who owns it now. I go out of my way to drive by it twice a month to check up on it. It's still sitting uncovered under the pine trees where it has been since I first saw it last year. It hasn't moved and is now covered in about 2 inches of pine needles. There are 3 other cars scattered around the yard just rotting away so I'm sure this will join them. Too bad. I wrote to Oldsmobile in 2003 when I first got it and they said it was one of about 10 442's so equipped. I might need to knock on his door soon... before it's too far gone. I'm sure if I wave some cash in front of the son's face, he'll sell it. I'd hate to see another car lost, especially one as unusual as this one. Should have kept it!

IMG_6234.JPG IMG_6241.JPG IMG_6249.JPG

Reactions: 5 users

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY

I second this. If you do a motor swap, any motor worth going through the hassle is going to be too much for that transmission. At that point you could have bought any G-body and done a motor and transmission swap with roughly the same amount of effort and cost. You have a good running motor and transmission ready to do work. Use them. Slap a flowmaster muffler on and call it a day for now. If anything maybe do the rear gears.

Edit: And congrats on the score. That car is worth 2 grand all day. Enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor