Killer handling front end

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Are you saying that you can put in taller lower ball joints and it will lower the car up to an inch without any other mods?
And where can i get them?

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
jrm81bu said:
Are you saying that you can put in taller lower ball joints and it will lower the car up to an inch without any other mods?
And where can i get them?

Yes but you'll need the adjustable SPC upper arms to dial in the correct alignment. Marcus will do a stage 1 kit with the tall lowers instead of the uppers so you get 2 benefits, better alignment specs and up to an 1" drop.

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
pinstripebob said:
This is some good info. Forgot to mention that I DO have 17 x 7's for the front that I got yesterday, should be putting some wide meats on those. The backs will probably be 17 x 9.5s. I do have the coilovers set almost all the way down, but the problem I run into is (sorry I forgot the term here) the top of the wheels are way out in relation to the bottom, opposite of what I'm after. The sway bars I have now do work pretty darn well, and I've read some bad things about having a rear bar that's too big making the car not corner very well. I'll probably start with adjustable UCAs, see where that gets me. My thought with lowering spindles was that I could raise my car back up with the springs, stiffening them a little more and improving the geometry, although it would still be not what I'm after.

7" wide wheels up front will be too narrow IMO. There's room for 8" so no reason to go with that size and get the benefits or a wider footprint.

Also G-bodies were setup from the factory with understeer. To neutralize that you should upgrade the rear bar to an aftermarket 1" or add more spring rate to the rear. Upgrading the front sway bar or springs only will make things worse.

Something else to do, is to upgrade your steering box to a quick ratio one from a Monte SS.

Jul 23, 2008
Carmel, IN
I've been wanting a 12.7:1 steering box, killer prices though. I know a few cars that have 2.25 turns lock to lock that could donate, though. I do have much stiffer springs in the back, and I think my front is a 36mm, I'll need to measure, though.

drb930

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 25, 2007
Los Angeles
Subscribed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor