Lakewood gear lube in my Auburn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Never ran one, heard nothing but bad things about them, so why would I? Synthetic, other than the Trutrac and maybe the Detroit locker is usually a no no in any posi traction. I have run 75W90 and now 75W140 in my Dakota's Trac Loc, it sees -40 and seems to function fine. I'm glad you have had good luck, few others have. Notice how he was fixing a bad one? Just like a Gov Bomb, we should name them Ahbad😁.

Eaton's instructions use to say no synthetic but they changed that. GM trucks with an Eaton always came from factory with synthetic even while Eaton's instruction still said no to synthetic. I have a 67 rear end with an Eaton that still has the original clutchs and I have run synthetic since I installed it 4-5 years ago with no issues.

Reactions: 1 users

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
Hmm. I've been running Auburns for over 30 years in 3 vehicles with no issues. Just need to avoid Synthetic gear lube. Did yours fail and how?

I've never heard no synthetic in a 7.5. any idea why that may be?

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I've never heard no synthetic in a 7.5. any idea why that may be?

Hey Pontiac guy. It makes no difference if the carrier is in a 7.5 or 8.5. The recommendation to run standard gear lube comes directly from Auburn. It is in their instructions. Synthetic offers too much lubricity and reduces the clutch friction in most posi traction carriers.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
Hey Pontiac guy. It makes no difference if the carrier is in a 7.5 or 8.5. The recommendation to run standard gear lube comes directly from Auburn. It is in their instructions. Synthetic offers too much lubricity and reduces the clutch friction in most posi traction carriers.
Thanks.

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
I installed an 8.5 in my car last year and used GL5
Installation manual
E4054FC7-8519-4AE4-892A-863F685BAC88.jpeg
DAEB1793-5330-4EF4-B7AD-8B5DE2215E66.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor