LETS SEE SOME GRAND PRIX'S

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsharma

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 13, 2014
Hi 81 Grand Prix LJ

You have a beautiful car as well. I've wondered about the air cleaner cause I've never seen a gold colored one on any other GP. I took it off yesterday to clean the carb and it's the same color underneath so it looks like it was painted that way from the factory. I've been tempted to paint it black but I will hold off for now. I'm desperately trying to find some 14 or 14 inch white walls for her but not having any luck. Also looking for some Pontiac snowflake wheels but the ones on Ebay are way too expensive.

Do you have a factory sunroof on yours and do you know where I could find the seal that goes around the glass. Mine is looking pretty rough and I don't want a water leak and the issues that come with that. Oh ya, mine is a Canadian car, blue engine and I live in Vancouver, BC.

'81 Grand Prix LJ

Greasemonkey
Jun 20, 2011
Repentigny, Qc, Canada
Nope, mine came with a straight top!!! But for the seals, take a guess with GM... They can still get the door weatherstips, so maybe the sunroof seal too.... Or one more thing you can try, there is a place here in Chambly, Qc that might be able to help you, Auto Original. You can find their number on Google i guess and i THINK they ship too... But your air cleaner lid story really makes me scratch my head!!! That's the FIRST ONE that i see painted this way!!!! Interesting! Where was yours built??? Oshawa, Ontario???

nsharma

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 13, 2014
Thanks I'll check out that place in Quebec. I'm not sure where my car was born but I'll check the door jamb and get back to you. Where did you find the build sheet/RPO for your car? Was it under the back seat? Also, what kind of mileage are you getting from a full tank. Thanks again.

xodruxo

Apprentice
Feb 21, 2010
Denver, Dollarado
It makes me proud to see that every time I log onto the site that one of the top 15 topics is "lets see some Grand Prix".. so im just writing something on here just to make it #1 for a few minutes...

'81 Grand Prix LJ

Greasemonkey
Jun 20, 2011
Repentigny, Qc, Canada
nsharma said:
Thanks I'll check out that place in Quebec. I'm not sure where my car was born but I'll check the door jamb and get back to you. Where did you find the build sheet/RPO for your car? Was it under the back seat? Also, what kind of mileage are you getting from a full tank. Thanks again.

If i remember well, you gotta check the third digit of your VIN to identify the assembly plant and if you have the original shop manual you have the info inside to decode it, otherwise you can check on the internet too!! I found the first build sheet behind the passenger door panel (trim), the second one under the headliner (no jokes...the guy who redid it gave it to me and never understood how in hell it got there LOL!), one behind the back seat's backrest (wich was pretty damaged) and for the last one, i gotta check back in the car...I've left that one in place but i don't remember where LOL!! The 2 first ones are the perfect ones that you saw in my RPO Codes post!!! That was the very first time that i see MORE than one build sheet for a car, 4 in my case!!! I've never actually measured EXACTLY my gas mileage but, assuming that i take it to go to work every day (spring to fall ONLY) PLUS my personnal mileage, I fill it FULL on Monday and, without refilling during the week, i still got at least 1/4 of a tank or slightly more by the end of Friday, depending on how much traffic jam i get in my week!!! And keep in mind that i still ''play'' with him sometimes through all that milleage! CARB IS THE BEST TECHNO EVER!!!!

nsharma

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 13, 2014
So as far as mileage goes if I get 350 km out of tankful of combined city/highway driving I will be happy. I'll get back to you when I finish running a full tank. I've only put about 100 kms since I bought her three weeks ago.

nsharma

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 13, 2014
Hey 81GrandPrix LJ I just got the go ahead to put some Cragars on my car by my insurance company. It has Collector Plates so not allowed to add much to it and have to keep it factory stock. So my question is, what size tires are you running on your GP? I'm thinking to getting 15x7 rims with 215-65-15 BF Goodrich Radial T/A's. Not permitted to get 16's to keep Collector status so 15's will have to do. Any comments from anyone is appreciated.

buzz77

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2013
I would go with a staggered look. 15x7 with the 215/65/15 is the perfect size for the front. Rears I'd go with 15X8 255/60. 3.5-4.0 inch back spacing should work fine. If you want to save some money the cooper cobra radials have the RWL with a less expensive price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor