limited slip diff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
hello people: Stock for a 86 T type code G80 LSD 8.5" 3.42 gears.
IBBY

if you don't know the history of the car you should take a look to make sure no one has switched out the rear end

Reactions: 1 users

jlat

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2013
hello people: I know the history. I want it to do what a LSD suppose to do. You heard of the lifting the rear end and spinning one tire and see what the other does. I might do that as the weather here in Mass. is suppose to clear up nice...
IBBY

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
ani-mm_popcorn_panda.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
The clutch packs is probably worn out and won't lock into place. Take the cover out and check for really dirty gritty lube. The disks are made of composite material with metal ones too. Not expensive to buy the kit to rebuild the unit. I don't recommend to DIY if you never have taken apart a differential. Tricky to align gears and disks so the axles will slip in and allow to put the pin back in. U-Tube has some really good DIYs if you go for it. Don't take the pinion out or mess with the pinion nut, you'll mess the backlash of the ring gear to pinion. Don't go by the RPO Label unless you are the original owner, it could have been swapped out to non posi.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
hello people: I know the history. I want it to do what a LSD suppose to do. You heard of the lifting the rear end and spinning one tire and see what the other does. I might do that as the weather here in Mass. is suppose to clear up nice...
IBBY
jack up by the diff and put the car in neutral,spin one wheel by hand and see which way the opposing tires spins.go from there.

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
If you want both wheels to get traction, get a Detroit Locker.
If you want the wheel with the most traction to grab, get a Truetrac.
Everything else, welllllllllll..................................... :popcorn: :popcorn:

Reactions: 3 users

jlat

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2013
hello people: Weather here in Mass. there saying might hit 70 degrees so I'll will get to do the lift the rear thing. This weather is weird snow then 70. The car will be put away soon so the winter will bring more babble. I just converted the hydro boost and that's something I'm dealing with nothing major.
IBBY

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
hello people: Weather here in Mass. there saying might hit 70 degrees so I'll will get to do the lift the rear thing. This weather is weird snow then 70. The car will be put away soon so the winter will bring more babble. I just converted the hydro boost and that's something I'm dealing with nothing major.
IBBY
that's new england weather for ya.wait 20 minutes it can change.

jlat

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2013
hello people: really nice weather today and the weekend looks even better. I lifted the rear and both wheels rotate in the same direction. I have not did stuff kike that in a long time but it brings me back. Because of my fat *ss rear sway bar I could not get to the diff. area. I did lift it under that SB. I don't think there's anything wrong with my LSD but I wonder why in the snow both wheels did not engage?
IBBY

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor