Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
See my post above.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
put one wheel on the ground, get a torque wrench on the wheel in the air and see how many foot pounds it takes to break the wheel free from the one on the ground. I think it should be close to 70 or 80 lbs

if it breaks away too soon it may be the last person who had the car added too much posi additive. The only way to find out is I would dump the rear end and just used rear end oil without additive. If the rear end break away torgue is good after that I would try it and if the rear clutch packs chatter around corners add some posi additive.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Who would be driving an '86 T-type in the snow in 2020?

Is it a complete rust bucket?

• Agree

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Reactions: 1 users

jlat

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2013
hello people: I'd like to learn something new every day and I'm just a backyard hobbyist but thanks to pontiacgp for his and others help. I never heard of the foot pounds thing. I'd like to try it in the future but I'll be driving it for now. They say the weather here in Mass. might hit 75 by Monday and that's in Nov.. I luv it so I want to take my bike out probably for the last time for this year and drive the car also...
How's the weather in Ontario GP?
IBBY

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
we got some warm weather for a few days but we know what is coming and I do not like it... :popcorn:

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
How fast did you go? Was there a lot of tire smoke?
Typically the snow will cool the tires faster than the smoke can be produced...................unless you possess tremendous HP. In this case it would be tire steam.

Scientific or what?

OP, that differential was never designed to do what you are imagining (pull the full weight of the car with one tire having zero traction). At the point that your spring pressure (breakaway torque) is high enough to do what you are imagining you will have made it act much different on dry pavement and you'll be asking what is wrong with it in another post. Having both tires spinning evenly in the snow is mucho fun, but not necessarily the safest thing for an unprepared driver. Getting the correct 'snow tires' is your best bet as there is likely nothing wrong with your LSD. PontiacGP had a good suggestion also, change out the fluid to 'non-limited slip' fluid.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Typically the snow will cool the tires faster than the smoke can be produced...................unless you possess tremendous HP. In this case it would be tire steam.

Scientific or what?

OP, that differential was never designed to do what you are imagining (pull the full weight of the car with one tire having zero traction). At the point that your spring pressure (breakaway torque) is high enough to do what you are imagining you will have made it act much different on dry pavement and you'll be asking what is wrong with it in another post. Having both tires spinning evenly in the snow is mucho fun, but not necessarily the safest thing for an unprepared driver. Getting the correct 'snow tires' is your best bet as there is likely nothing wrong with your LSD. PontiacGP had a good suggestion also, change out the fluid to 'non-limited slip' fluid.
Nah. If you get mad enough, you can smoke the tires on a 6.0 Silverado and the headers glow orange.

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Nah. If you get mad enough, you can smoke the tires on a 6.0 Silverado and the headers glow orange.
For some reason, that comment reminds me of how my step-father used to say that the way you drive a Detroit Diesel is the same as if you just had an argument with your wife and slammed the door on your foot as you were leaving the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor