Looking for help on buying a Monte Carlo 78

Status
Not open for further replies.

WBLSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 28, 2017
St.Paul, MN
cost probably wouldnt be much just cleaned, if the cracked dash really bothers you im sure those are expensive but id reccomend because the seats are cloth just using a seat shampoo and vacuum the thing out really good. i think the interior will turn out well and BTW was the headliner falling down?

Didn't see any falling down but I'm sure I'll see it again before I buy it. I didn't have a battery that was to start anything plus I didn't want to hurt the motor with a dry start and old *ss fluids but I put jumpers on it from my truck to check the lights. Brakes and head lights worked but only one blinker not sure if wiring or just bad bulbs

WBLSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 28, 2017
St.Paul, MN
Found this wire on the floor not sure what it could have went to, have any idea's?

Attachments

• 20170429_131145.jpg
    20170429_131145.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 127

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
Didn't see any falling down but I'm sure I'll see it again before I buy it. I didn't have a battery that was to start anything plus I didn't want to hurt the motor with a dry start and old *ss fluids but I put jumpers on it from my truck to check the lights. Brakes and head lights worked but only one blinker not sure if wiring or just bad bulbs
ok so i would buy it, push the brakes, if you have pressure you are good, but if you dont i would just arrange a trailer. anyways change the oil before you start it, and unplug the spark plug wires so it dosnt start, turn over the engine after the oil change for about a minute or two but take brakes because the starter can overheat. once you get the oil flowing you can try to run it back to your house with the old coolant or i would reccomend just to bring a few jugs of water, open the petcock on the bottom passenger side of the radiator until everything is gone, and close it, put water in, and bleed out the system. after that it should be good BUT it probably has old gas so you might want to bring a gas pump too. honestly this would take a while so i would just trailer it home.

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
Found this wire on the floor not sure what it could have went to, have any idea's?
definately not factory, like bob said above someone tried to wire something, but failed. check the wires to see which ones he spliced into and see if you cant get a pic of that. hopefully it should be right under the dash. the worst thing that can happen to a car IMO is messed up wiring i just dont see why people do this when it works fine from the factory

AxiumVlor

Apprentice
Apr 20, 2017
cost probably wouldnt be much just cleaned, if the cracked dash really bothers you im sure those are expensive but id reccomend because the seats are cloth just using a seat shampoo and vacuum the thing out really good. i think the interior will turn out well and BTW was the headliner falling down?
Actually there is a hole in the back seat where a rodent chewed its way in it will need reupholstered the dark brown spots on the dash are sunscorch marks the car was sitting outside for a while it was dry at least if it did come from nevada so the padding in the seats may have been safe and might be able to wipe the dash down with and revive it a little but i wouldnt press too hard ot it may crack but the back seat would need likely repadded and upholstered who know how much foam the critters ate out of there or if they built a nest in it having it redone depends on the material you use if you redo it yourself or if you have someone else redo it the cost of labor can be pricey checked a shop here and my seats are vinyl i was quoted $400 for repad and recovering for one seat but my front seat is bad the back had no rips but has sun scorch marks

Attachments

• 20170424_082510.jpg
    20170424_082510.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 152

WBLSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 28, 2017
St.Paul, MN
It does look pretty dry and solid underneath from what I can tell....it certainly doesn't look like your typical crusty northern rust belt special.

I would first concentrate on cleaning the car up, then assess what's needed to make it roadworthy.
Flush the tank, change all the fluids, possibly have the carb rebuilt...new plugs, cap, rotor, wires...new battery of course. If you can get it for a few hundred less, that's money to help make it road ready.
If not, the car still seems like a killer deal.

What wires do you think I will need to replace? Most of that on your list should be kinda for me, would it have rotors on that? I guess I didn't look.

Matthew Goeke

G-Body Guru
Oct 15, 2016
What wires do you think I will need to replace? Most of that on your list should be kinda for me, would it have rotors on that? I guess I didn't look.
rotors? are you talking about brakes? your rotor might be good, dont mess with it until you know for sure thats the problem because to get a new one in you have to figure out where top dead center is and its just a pain but when i did my regal i just needed spark plugs and wires and for the most part that was it to get the engine going. also dont be a downy like me, make sure you clean out the tank if it is dry.

WBLSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 28, 2017
St.Paul, MN
ok so i would buy it, push the brakes, if you have pressure you are good, but if you dont i would just arrange a trailer. anyways change the oil before you start it, and unplug the spark plug wires so it dosnt start, turn over the engine after the oil change for about a minute or two but take brakes because the starter can overheat. once you get the oil flowing you can try to run it back to your house with the old coolant or i would reccomend just to bring a few jugs of water, open the petcock on the bottom passenger side of the radiator until everything is gone, and close it, put water in, and bleed out the system. after that it should be good BUT it probably has old gas so you might want to bring a gas pump too. honestly this would take a while so i would just trailer it home.

Pushed brakes they were firm and brake lights worked, for sure old gas but I would siphon out as much as I could if I were to do it that was and bring like 5 new gallons but coolant reservoir was bad I'm sure it won't hold any fluid so I would like to replace a few things under the hood before I try starting it. That's why I have been asking around for a website to find parts. Here in the next few months I'll have my truck paid off and it will free up 440 a month to work with

Reactions: 1 user

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
1) Don't drive it home ! Trailer or tow it. Its been sitting so even if the brakes seem solid they could be seized plus the universal's maybe dry an fly apart, tires could be weather cracked an fly apart. Gear oil in rearend might be toast or zero in it which might cause it to lock up.
2) Honestly if it ain't been run in years you should pull distributor an prime the oil up unless your going to rebuild it then it doesn't matter as much. Fresh oil !
3) After priming it disconnect fuel lines from carb an fuel pump, blow line out ! Run some gas threw the line to help clean it, add a jug of gas an hook a line into it from fuel pump , check fuel filter on the carb, hook line back up from pump to carb, then see if it fires. Might need to pour a little gas down carb to help it start. Remember your checking it not really trying to run it.
If it started the way it sits without touching it l would be amazed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor