Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
it was coming out of the valve cover cap. Thats when my buddy popped that off and said something about a lot of blow by. This was the first time running in 4 years. She was neglected a long time. I want to try and get her right!
That's a real problem, if that is the case you are going to end up having to go through the engine.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
replace, or pull and open it up? Yea Im new to this so its gonna be a learning experience.
Any and all of the above depending on your skill set or the people you know.

Reactions: 1 user

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Noise with smoke is never good. The Smoke coming out of the valve cover looks faster than it would be coming out of an exhaust tube at idle. It appears exhaust is going directly into the crankcase and not out the headers.

Broken piston, ring. Do a compression/leak down check. look for a bad cylinder.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
Noise with smoke is never good. The Smoke coming out of the valve cover looks faster than it would be coming out of an exhaust tube at idle. It appears exhaust is going directly into the crankcase and not out the headers.
Broken piston, ring. Do a compression/leak down check. look for a bad cylinder.

Possibly stuck rings from sitting around.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Everything is "fixable". If a ring was "stuck", 3 things can happen:

1) the motor is frozen and doesn't turn over. Your motor is spinning, so that isn't the case.
2) the ring becomes unstuck and the motor works again
3) the ring breaks and makes lots of noise and has blowby

How hard was the motor to start when you first tried to start it? Has it ever run good, or did you buy it from someone who parked it?

James Hannigan

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2018
O-HI-O
Everything is "fixable". If a ring was "stuck", 3 things can happen:

1) the motor is frozen and doesn't turn over. Your motor is spinning, so that isn't the case.
2) the ring becomes unstuck and the motor works again
3) the ring breaks and makes lots of noise and has blowby

How hard was the motor to start when you first tried to start it? Has it ever run good, or did you buy it from someone who parked it?

Sprayed starting fluid in carb it fired right up no problems. The car ran healthy prior, had a leak in transmission line and pan. Re did gasket and stopped the leak.
The car was previous owners fathers, and she knows nothing about it. She said it ran good though and it was parked because she really had no interest in it.
The only issue after first start up besides the noise was I washed the car and like a dumb *ss wasn't paying attention and sprayed water through the grate up the hood into engine bay. After that it wouldn't start. Stopped getting power from battery to distributor. Had to run a hot wire to battery to get it to start.
Thats when I took these videos. The noise and smoke got me a little nervous, and the car hasn't been started again since. I wanted to get some options and what not before starting again. Didn't want to risk doing permanent damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor