Low Buck Chuck 79 Hurst Olds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I was real fortunate to find it. I was searching the classifieds for a g-body rearend when I stumbled upon an ad for a '79 Cutlass. The guy told me it was a H/O, his intentions were to part it out. I'm thinking 'this car must be in rough shape.' Low and behold I check it out and to my amazement the damn thing is straight, no rust and I'm the only person to have answered the ad in 3 days. I negotiated a price for the whole thing and drug it home. Never again will I find a deal like that, but I keep my eyes open.

Nice! Another one, and an LSX swap too, I love it and thanks for the welcome.

Myself I will be doing this swap as cheap as I can, but when I mean cheap I will use my knowledge, talent and labor to save coin, not cut corners and quality in the end. I will be focusing on clean and neat, to look like it could have come from the factory as much as I can. These cars deserve it so for those misunderstanding my topic title, maybe a bad choice of words on my part, but this car will be in good hands.

Did nothing today, had to work and don't expect to do much next week either as my brother and his wife will be in for the new years weekend but after that it's go time.

The factory wheels, for now I will be keeping them on hand as you never know what direction this car will take. Everyone knows when you first pick up a new project many ideas pass through your mind but in the end are usually not the same as you once envisioned. But for now, the 15 inch steel wheels will be getting the nod. Too bad nobody makes these in 17" sizes that would be awesome.

Not much to post due to the holiday weekends and family visiting but Brian (my son) and I were talking about installing the hydroboost unit we took off of the truck onto the Olds. I installed a Astro HB unit out of a wrecking yard in the Chevelle and love it. Lots of power behind your right foot on the slow down with those.

I know the GN cars had a form of hydroboost from the factory I wonder if those lines will be a bolt in or is it worth it to try or just get lines from another car or build one from scratch like I did on the Chevelle.

Other than not using vacuum, what advantages does the hydro boost setup offer?

It was mostly used in heavy trucks with diesel engines, uses power steering pump to create a source of assisted power instead of relying on vacuum as you mentioned because of the diesel engines not producing very much vacuum and of course positive manifold pressure turbo boost. Physically in smaller in size than a traditional booster, makes for more room in the engine compartment if that matters to you. Other than that there are lines to address and some plumbing to do, but the real advantage is almost endless available power to stop you. Pretty popular with boosted setups and cars with either large cams or large aftermarket brakes. Works mint on the Chevelle, almost too good so I have to watch my footing if experiencing a situation where I need to stop right now 🙂

The factory boosters do have a few stops of reserve power (if the engine stalls) as do vacuum boosters but after that is manual brakes....

Little to post, but progress. After the holidays, and being sick for a damn week I was out getting some things done on the car today finally. Spent some time on the firewall, the original AC box was broken so we will be on the search for a new one ASAP. I do plan on shooting the firewall and inner fender panels in gold before bolting the engine in. Should look OK when done, and we hope look factory fresh.

It did get dark before I crawled under the dash area to see why the box won't separate itself from the wall, It's unbolted and free but either wires or cables etc are not letting me pull it off.

Here is a pic of the rats nest 😀

Attachments

• 20150116_182234.jpg
    20150116_182234.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 457
My son was out working on the car while I was at work today, he got the AC housing off of the firewall and started tearing down the brake booster, master cyl and wiper motor so we can clean them up and start paint work so it's clean before we start fitting the 6.0.

Attachments

• 20150118_172521.jpg
    20150118_172521.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 397
  • 20150118_172613.jpg
    20150118_172613.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 388
Is your 71 C10 build on 67-72chevydotcom........if so could link it here so I check it out............

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor