Lower ball joint tricks anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldiejams

Master Mechanic
Jan 21, 2011
Tucson
ancient thread,
but could could i use a c-frame ball joint tool with out an electric or pneumatic impact wrench and just a 1/2" ratchet?

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Did this at Christmas. I have a BMF vice on my tool bench. First, I lubed the acme threads on the C-clamp with some white grease or something else not too messy. To get the old rusty ball joints out, I set up the rented Autozone C-clamp on the A-arm and cinched down on the floor, then clamped the back of the C-Clamp in the vice with a few red rags to keep the warranty alive [ :wink: ]. As I cranked down on the clamp with a breaker bar, I tapped on the area around the ball joint with a ball peen hammer, and that sucker popped out. My son lent a hand and held the A-arm so it did not fall off the bench when the joint popped. Nearly jumped when it let go.

When putting the new one in, if the new/old one was splined, try to line up the splines it cut in the a-arm. Take a minute and touch up the bottom edge a little with a file to help it start in square. I didn't learn about the freezer trick until after I finished this job. Shrink the new ball joint a little, and it should slide in easier than doing it at room temps.

For you fellow hoarders out there...I kept some old bearing races from replacing some truck bearings. They fit better on the perimeter of the ball joints than the spacers included in the kit.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
For you guys wavering on buying a hydraulic press, I just used the 12 ton bottle jack that came with the HF press to raise the main beam in my house. Then I was able to replace a rotted wooden post with a steel post. Easy peasy, no drama.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
G-Body_Vet said:
ssn696 said:
acme threads

I'm surprised someone else knows what those are called!

Engineer.

One further tip. Check the ball joint for alignment markings. I recall the Moogs have 'inner' or 'inside' stamped into them. Probably has to do with the travel arc.

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
80.00 to h&r parts'n'stuff for there bushing installer/remover tool.ive done 4 full COMPLETE suspensions(rear end uca ears,control arm busings,etc) with it since i bought it back in 09 8) one of my favorite tools!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor