Lq9 crank

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
I just picked up a junkyard LQ9 out of a 2005 Escalade . My goal at first is 600whp until I have my new 9” rear put in. Then I plan on being around 800whp. I’m set on doing a turbo FI build.

I know I’ve read a lot here on the forums that the stock cranks are able to handle 1000+ Hp but I’m just a little weary of running the stock crank when everything else will be brand new. However if I could save $1k by reusing my crank I would like to do so. The machine shop doing my engine said I should replace the crank as well with that much power. He doesn’t have the motor yet. The Motor has 115k miles on it.

Should I just buy a new crank($1100), buy a new OEM gm crank ($500) or just run the stock crank that’s already in the motor? I would just hate to have everything running well and then have to do a complete tear down. Thanks

Max boost I plan on running is 18-20 lbs if I switch over to e85

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Run the stock crank. There are many reports of people running fast on stock cranks. Local guy had a stock LS2 crank in a gen4 5.3 that ran 7.70 at probably 1400hp. I don't think iv'e ever seen a photo of an actual crank failure. Usually at the high 1400-1600hp range the stock cranks just start getting bendy and eat bearings.

The machine shop wants to make 20% commission (or whatever) on a new crank sale.

Don't overthink it, use what you have. An 05 is a gen 4 engine likely so it has the good rods. Use what you have, don't worry taking it to a machine shop. It ran in the car it came out of, no reason to think it won't run now.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
Run the stock crank. There are many reports of people running fast on stock cranks. Local guy had a stock LS2 crank in a gen4 5.3 that ran 7.70 at probably 1400hp. I don't think iv'e ever seen a photo of an actual crank failure. Usually at the high 1400-1600hp range the stock cranks just start getting bendy and eat bearings.

The machine shop wants to make 20% commission (or whatever) on a new crank sale.

Don't overthink it, use what you have. An 05 is a gen 4 engine likely so it has the good rods. Use what you have, don't worry taking it to a machine shop. It ran in the car it came out of, no reason to think it won't run now.
Yeah I’ve talked to 2 machine shops now and both of them say I should put a new crank in.

He also said if I’m running forced induction he would recommend a line home and install main studs. He said he would also recommend a 3 or 5 angle valve job on the 317 heads. What do you think about that?

Another machine shop said main studs if you want them but never mentioned anything about a cable job. What do you think is necessary to build a good reliable turbo motor? Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor