LS Powered Monte Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Project 81 Monte Build LQ9 Powered-Painted!

Got the trunk lid on, heres a more complete looking picture from the back.

Got more panels hung on the car the last couple days. Just waiting on the nose which needs some more body work. Once the glass is in the interior will start to go together. The black SS trim will be going on after the car is polished and im planning on at somepoint getting the SS stripe kit put on but I want all the stipes to be black instead of the 3 tone gray like the original SS had. Cars come along way already 8)

Got the SS nose piece fitted today, needed to install it just to line up the hood and set my gaps. Last piece to be painted and should look good gray with the grill and headlight openings blacked out.

:banana:

Nice build. Here is what I did with my pacesetter headers.

I didn't care for the way the driver side header went out at an angle, so I decided to cut it then bend it straight.

DSC_024Before-After.jpg

DSC_0259.jpg

Then welded shut with a filler piece

DSC_0239.jpg

DSC_0242.jpg

For the passenger side I didn't want to dent any tubes. So I used my sawzall and carefully cut the tubes almost all the way through at the flange.

0924fc3e-4290-4369-a82f-c33c7ba9804f.jpg

Then I just wrapped a towing strap around the collector and tossed it under the car and over to the driver side. Then from the driver side just pull and yank on the strap until the headers clear away from the frame enough to my liking. If needed remove the headers and open up the cuts just slightly more, put the headers back on with the strap and pull to repeat the process until they clear.

Where it was hitting

53cfa547-b2d8-416f-aa85-252d33ad1858.jpg

Clearance gained

DSC_01725.jpg

Then weld the tubes shut at the flange. Good to go.

DSC_0235.jpg

Those are Fbody Pacesetter headers, they fit a 98-02 camaro fine, but they also fit the gbody with setback mounts on LS swap (fit barely) I just wanted to make them fit better.

There are swap headers for the gbody but they are around $800 and require different mounts, which would then require different oil pan and possible different front acc brackets, different trans crossmember, and new drive shaft if using the original trans. So yeah that adds up

If you want to reuse the original trans then setback mounts are needed, and pacesetter headers from an fbody are only thing others and myself know of that half *ss fit decently.

yeah the g body specific headers are a grip!! :| thanks for the pics RELL88SS!, I have some ebay stainless steel headers similar to the Pacesetters that I picked up cheap and am gonna mod them like you did great job!

Thanks for the post RELL88SS, I really like what you did with the collector on the drivers side, that would make for a few less bends in the exhaust and im probably going to do that. I just ended up denting the tube on the passenger side but I like what you did better. Im debating on cutting that section out and maybe re-routing the primary to clear the frame if I decide I cant live with the dented tube... As for the swap headers your right, I believe thats the kit BRP sells if im not mistaken. Way to expensive and requires you to make way more changes... Im not rich so ill live with my homemade setback plates and cheap pacesetter headers for an f-body! As tc1959 said it would be nice if somebody came up with a set of swap headers that fit without making major changes... Not like the swap isnt popular in g-bodys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor