LS Powered Monte Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Project 81 Monte Build LQ9 Powered-Painted!

After seeing what RELL88SS did to correct the problem with the angle the driver side collector is on the pacesetter f-body headers I thought id give it a try on my own. I actually ended up doing it a bit different and am really happy with the results. I measured where the collector needed to be then cut the collector off on an angle. I then rotated the piece I cut off 180 deg which not only straightens the collector but also puts the O2 sensor hole on the outside which gives more clearance for guys running efi. Did take some minor trimming to get it perfect but was pretty simple overall. Once I had it where I liked it I welded it on. Both ways work fine just a different take on how to straighten the collector so your exhaust has a straighter run at the header.

The engine is on a bit of a lean so it may look a bit weird but the collector is straight trust me

I fixed up the passenger side header today. I cut through the bottom of all 4 primarys abou 3/8" from the flange with a cutting wheel. I then bolted the header back on the block and wrapped a ratchet strap around the collector and the engine stand and pulled it inwards. I had to make some of the cuts wider to make it bend in more. I spotted all the primarys at the bottom of the cut with the strap pulled tight to keep from opening up. Next removed the header and finish welded all the primarys again. The last thing I did was cut the passenger side collector part way through with a cuting wheel and bent it in a little bit then re welded it. This makes the collectors line up perfectly with the humps in the crossmember and makes a straighter shot for the exhaust.

Looks good, I like seeing someone go through details like that. Instead of taking a BFH to it.

Nice work guys.

Nice work, I have a thread about my headers on ls1tech. When I had already cut the headers to bend them straight someone suggested that cutting it off all the way and flipping it would have worked too. I hadn't really thought of that option when I was cutting it but I see it worked perfectly for you. Good job.

VERRRRYY niCE!!! the came out great guys 8) definetly on my "TO DO" list for my lq9 install!!!

Definitely recommend doing this on the passenger side header for clearance on the number 4 cylinder primary. Yes you can dent it if your in a hurry but it has to be dented a substantial amount more than I liked. I started to dent the tube but when I seen how far it had to go in it bothered me. Then I seen what RELL88SS did and it was the solution I was looking for. More work but worth it. I pulled most of the dent I made in the tube out (was a pain in the *ss). Another thing that sucks is that the painted f-bod pacesetter headers is they arnt painted with high temp paint so if you dont have a sand blaster you have to wire wheel the paint off to paint them or get them ceramic coated. Coating was out of my budget so I sprayed them with black VHT header paint. Ive had good luck with it by painting the headers and heating them with a propane torch to bake the paint on, did that on the blue 82 monte and they are still black and rust free.

Got the nose on the car now painted and the paint all sanded and polished. 😀

Did some exparimenting yesterday with the rims that are going on the monte. I always thought the Draglites I got would look cool black since the car has a darker look an all black SS trim. I didnt want to destroy the rims incase I didnt like it so I used a product called Plasti-dip. I painted the rims black with it and used there glossifier on it and actually am kinda impressed with the stuff. I havet done the front rims cause I have to put tires on them yet but this was a start. I think it kinda looks cool, What do you guys think?

I think they look great. I am not a fan or draglights, they are so common, buy they look good. I have been talking about using that same product on a few other things in my build thread.

I never was a fan either for the same reason... picked these up used cheap (only a year old). These will do till I can afford a set of Weld RTS series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor