LS Powered Monte Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldBlue82

Greasemonkey
Mar 13, 2008
Huron County, ON Canada
79loserbluebu said:
Car looks good love the interior. Is the roll cage welded to the frame? I'm not sure about IHRA but NHRA rules are the cage needs to be welded to the frame on a full frame car.

Its welded to 6X6" 1/8" plates and bolted to the frame with grade 8 hardware. Should be ok by ihra rules which most of ontarios tracks are.

Attachments

• roll bar.jpg
    roll bar.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 646

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
Oh ok cool I read earlier you were welding the plate to the bar but didn't now whether it was being bolted to the floor pan or frame. You did a beautiful job on the car I would hate to see you have to go back and redo anything but you are all good

OldBlue82

Greasemonkey
Mar 13, 2008
Huron County, ON Canada
79loserbluebu said:
Oh ok cool I read earlier you were welding the plate to the bar but didn't now whether it was being bolted to the floor pan or frame. You did a beautiful job on the car I would hate to see you have to go back and redo anything but you are all good

I Guess if they b*tch about it (dont think they will) I can put some welds on the frame too. Just didnt want to butcher the floors. I Seen an 84 monte run at the strip and the cage was a mess but the still let it run. A lot of it is at the techs discretion. Your malibu has some impressive times, one of the reasons I went with the LS. clean looking car also!

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
OldBlue82 said:
79loserbluebu said:

I Guess if they b*tch about it (dont think they will) I can put some welds on the frame too. Just didnt want to butcher the floors. I Seen an 84 monte run at the strip and the cage was a mess but the still let it run. A lot of it is at the techs discretion. Your malibu has some impressive times, one of the reasons I went with the LS. clean looking car also!

Yeah the techs control it all really

The LS is an all around great engine you will love driving the car in general let alone when you go to the racetrack. Thanks for the compliments, we have very similar setups your times should be right around mine. You have a little more lift and duration on the intake side of the cam and you also have the flat top pistons. Mine are the dished LQ4 pistons however I have a 102 intake/tb and cnc ported 243s. The 243s right from the factory are a huge gain over 317s compression wise

OldBlue82

Greasemonkey
Mar 13, 2008
Huron County, ON Canada
79loserbluebu said:
The LS is an all around great engine you will love driving the car in general let alone when you go to the racetrack. Thanks for the compliments, we have very similar setups your times should be right around mine. You have a little more lift and duration on the intake side of the cam and you also have the flat top pistons. Mine are the dished LQ4 pistons however I have a 102 intake/tb and cnc ported 243s. The 243s right from the factory are a huge gain over 317s compression wise

I should be almost exactly 11:1 compression with the 799s on the lq9. As far as I can tell most ppl say they are running 91 octane pump gas with no problems so Im hoping they are right. What does your car weigh? Also what stall are are you running? I was planning on getting a converter in the 3500-3800 stall range.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
I use 91/93 whatever the place has. The car weighs 3450 with me in it. I have a Yank 4000 rpm stall. If you choose to go with a big stall remember you can't be driving around late at night you will attract the wrong kind of attention :lol:

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
I was going to ask but I forgot, did you paint the car yourself or just do all the prep work and have it shot somewhere else? It looks amazing I'm hoping this winter I will be able to bust the car down and get it painted

OldBlue82

Greasemonkey
Mar 13, 2008
Huron County, ON Canada
I did most of the prep work with some help, I block sanded the entire car myself (elbows were sore for about a week after). I towed it down the street to a local body shop and they sprayed the car and cut/polished it for me.

OldBlue82

Greasemonkey
Mar 13, 2008
Huron County, ON Canada
Had a successful weekend getting alot accomplished on the Monte. I did end up changing from the original plan of running a 200-4r... the cheapest I could have a suitable one built or ordered would have cost me between $2500-3000 with a converter by the time things were all said and done. This was far to costly for me so I ended up getting a th400 built and a Neil Chance 3800 stall converter. Went this rout since I already had the crossmember that worked for the th400 and 200-4r. I do plan on doing a 4l80e swap in the future still. The th400 bolted up to the lq9 no problems and I got it in the car no problems.

OldBlue82

Greasemonkey
Mar 13, 2008
Huron County, ON Canada
Made some more progress on the car this weekend. Got the mallory bypass regulator installed as well as I ran my -8 braided line back to the tank. I also hooked a 10 micron filter into the feed line before the regulator. I ended up using the stock 3/8" feed line as my return since it was already there. I have a Racetronix fuel sending unit with a wablro 255 pump to feed it all. I ended up getting a the sender with the AN fittings on the feed and return. Opted to get the wiring kit from them too. It all looks like nice stuff outta the box. Line lock is also hooked up 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor