LS2 4l65e dead.. rebuilt or go 4l80e?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
When you compare the diameter of the output shaft of the 60/65/70E to that of the 80/85E, you realize how much more stout the 80E/85E is. I'll leave the 60E in my 260 horse Roadmaster but that's it for me.

If the OP is interested, there is a link to the thread on my truck and I cover the swap in it, including the minor wiring (re-pinning) and other modifications.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
No surprise the 4L65E failed, probably the very common no 3rd or 4th gear, just not enough clutches to live, especially towing.

Patobusta

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 2, 2017
First, thanks for all the comments and suggestions..

It seems 4l80e es us the way to go.. I wont say i wont miss the 1 and overdrive of the 4l65e, but being able to actually hammer the car a bit with no remorse will be great.

However.. and important point i have not considered was arised, wiring. I bought my psi swap harness specifically for the gto ls2/4l65e, and till now assumed any other "e" transmission will just work.

Would it be just changing a few conextors and hptuners tune or actually major changes are required?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

It seems 4l80e es us the way to go.. I wont say i wont miss the 1 and overdrive of the 4l65e, but being able to actually hammer the car a bit with no remorse will be great.

However.. and important point i have not considered was arised, wiring. I bought my psi swap harness specifically for the gto ls2/4l65e, and till now assumed any other "e" transmission will just work.

Would it be just changing a few conextors and hptuners tune or actually major changes are required?
You just have to re-pin the main connector and have the tune segment swapped. Check out my thread in my sig.

Reactions: 2 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY

Jared should be able to comment since his swap was similar. The tune does have to be changed in HP Tuners, and a segment swap has to be performed(easy).
I have a cam/headers/exhaust 5.3 and junkyard 80E in my Cutlass and it's a blast! The cam is. 613/.590 lift on a 215/219 duration and 113lsa. I did put a shift kit in it, and also invested in a billet custom spec'd converter from FTI and it really does make a difference! You'd never know the car had that heavy trans in it, especially with the 3:73's out back.
HTH,
Scott

Reactions: 1 users

Patobusta

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 2, 2017
Given i have a stock cam, and not planing to change it in the near future..

Will a stock 80e converter still work? Or u definitely need to upgrade it?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Given i have a stock cam, and not planing to change it in the near future..

Will a stock 80e converter still work? Or u definitely need to upgrade it?
A stock converter will work but a custom converter is well worth the spend and will not disappoint. The stock converter is a truck piece and is very tight

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor