LT1 pros and cons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ringers

Greasemonkey
Dec 7, 2011
Are you talking the Optispark LT-1 or the way earlier LT-1? Like 1970. If you are talking the late one, the only drawback is the distributor placement. If the water pump leaks, it leaks on the dizzy and screws you at the most inopportune moment possible. The later dizzys have weep holes to let the water out. Whatever you do, run roller cam/lifters in whatever combo you choose. The small block has been around for so stinking long, all the bugs are out of them from an engineering standpoint. They are still a relevant motor IMO

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
^^All of this.^^

If the Optispark has you nervous, it is possible to convert to coil packs. This is in a Master Craft ski boat;

You can see the reluctor wheel...

...and crank sensor...

I've also seen guys convert to coil per plug using LS ignition components.

DutchmanZ

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 5, 2013
I have a 95 LT1 swap in my 78. My build thread is over on Maliburacing. The link is in my sig. Very simple and super fun to drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor