lt1 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

regalonbags

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 24, 2008
i bought an sopposed lt1 350 a few months back steel heads and was complete motor for 200 it set awhile then i tore it down to rebulid it because i wasnt sure of the miles. but then my buddy gave me a hell of a deal on his just rebulit 97 z lt1 with aluim. heads so i sold my motor to a guy for 200 he takes it to a shop to rebulid it and the say its not a 350 its a 305 and its not an lt1 . when i tore it down it was running when pulled had lt1 intake the dis. was mounted under the water pump like all newer lt1s so now this guy said he paid a shop 200 for work that they did to it before they found out it "wasnt" an 350 now the guy wants his 200 plus the 200 for labor back i know it was an lt1 i tore the intake off does anyone know if they made an lt1 305? keep in mind this guy told me that he has been a master auto tec for 30 years , shouldnt he have know that it wasnt a 350 during the 30 min he inspected the motor before he bought it or do you think hes just bullshiting me?

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
I have never heard of a 305 lt1. If I am not mistaken you wouldnt even be able to put lt1 heads on a 305 with out plenty of modification. Im sure this is a simple question but I dont know Chevy engines very well, im sure someone will have a more clear answer.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
There was a 4.3 liter V8 with the reverse cooling and optispark ignition. That is most likely what it is. Wouldn't be the first time.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
It was a 265ci engine that they used in the base Carpice. They did look the same, but the LT1 cars had dual exhaust while the 265's ( L99?) had single. externally, they are identical. I would also say that unless you are a business, the guy is SOL as it was not sold with a warranty by you and you conducted business in good faith.

regalonbags

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 24, 2008
thats what i told the guy hes sol i sold him what i bouhgt and i didnt know it wasnt an lt1 350 thats what i was told when i bought and i didnt give him any kind of warranty with it when he paid me, i think you take a chance when you olny pay 200 for a motor and sumtimes its good an sumtimes it bad, but i would think if hes been an auto tech for 30 years he would of know a way to tell it was aleast a 350 or 305 wright,it just got me pissed and he said hed take me to courtbut he hasnt called me since that day

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
He could take you to court, but then he would have to prove intentional fraud. If he can prove that, he can get you for court costs too. If not, he loses more money because he covers the court costs. I am not a lawyer, so take that advice with a grain of salt.

I think we all have been screwed at one time or another by parts we were told were one thing when they were really another. It's why it pays to have a decoder book, or if you are buying a core, to pull a head or oil pan and verify things with a tape measure.

79LT1Monte

Apprentice
Nov 25, 2007
Moscow Mills, Missouri
Sounds like this guy just doesn't want to admit he screwed up and didn't look at the back of the block before he did the work. You don't even need a decoder book, its stamped 4.3 or 5.7 not rocket sceince. If he was any kind of honest mechanic he would work with you, just one mans opinion.

andrewmp6

Master Mechanic
Sep 9, 2007
Yeah its the small v8 the caprice had a lt1 has alum heads never iron.You sold it as is where is right if so its his problem .

yourownself

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2008
stoughton, ma
caprice, roadbastard, and fleetwood lt1's most certainly did have iron heads. it was only camaro and corvette lt1s that had aluminum heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor