Making a custom instrument cluster

Status
Not open for further replies.

dingo84

Apprentice
Feb 9, 2013
I want to swap out my original instruments with all Auto Meter ultra-lite electric gauges.
I've seen pictures of home made clusters to fit these, but does anyone have a template with measures etc?
Also there's a complete cluster on gbodyparts but it has not yet been launched for sale.
Anyway, will be fun to make my own. Just wonder what warninglights and such I should include on this custom cluster.
Turnsignals offcourse.. And hi-beam, brake circuit-failure... What else? I have scrapped the ECU since I got carb engine. Just need the most common and important warninglights, and need to know which cables from the original harness goes to what instrument-light. Should I put on resistors or directly to the led?

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
i made my own. i will see if i can load the pics. i got Marshall gauges.its a tight fit on the smaller gauges. but it turned out nice i think.i made it my self.i install little florescent blue lites for the turn signals.i dont have the dash installed yet. will be in december.i seen the ones gbody has but didnt care for the black,

Attachments

• IMAG1334.jpg
    IMAG1334.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 3,445
  • IMAG1331.jpg
    IMAG1331.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 3,211
  • IMAG1339.jpg
    IMAG1339.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 3,512
  • IMAG1366.jpg
    IMAG1366.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 2,831

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
I have the smaller autometer gauges and used cardboard and the holder to make the template to get it the way I wanted.

I used abs plastic and used a 2" hole saw. the extra cut out fit the 2 1/16 perfectly.

dingo84

Apprentice
Feb 9, 2013
Very nice job on these! I actually like the "nascar look" on the last one, but I don't want to eliminate any air ducts. So I want the first one. Maybe I only will add the turnsignals, highbeam and ebrake. So 2 1/16" is the size I need for water/oil/fuel/volt then. What about the speedo and tach, 3 3/8" ?
I see the senders are included, but do wire harness come with each gauge from Auto Meter?
Maybe I'm going for the Monte Carlo layout on the gauge placement.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Not a Cutlass dash but the same concept would apply. I made aluminum plate inserts to fit the dash and kept my factory warning lights in tact.
I made it so each piece is removable using Rivnuts and stainless buttonhead bolts so I have access to wiring etc without pulling the entire panel off.
I used led's for the turn signals and then painted the entire panel black to match my dash.

Attachments

• normal_IMG_0111.jpg
    normal_IMG_0111.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 8,756
  • IMG_0473.jpg
    IMG_0473.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 4,241
  • IMG_0457.jpg
    IMG_0457.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 2,876

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
wonderboy24 said:
i made my own. i will see if i can load the pics. i got Marshall gauges.its a tight fit on the smaller gauges. but it turned out nice i think.i made it my self.i install little florescent blue lites for the turn signals.i dont have the dash installed yet. will be in december.i seen the ones gbody has but didnt care for the black,
looks niCE there stan :shock: glad to see you chipping away at your resto!:wink:

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
I made my own cluster, I used a scrap piece of wood paneling, I primed it, sanded and then painted it flat black (hole saw goes through wood way easier than metal). I bought little orange lights and bulbs from radio shack for turn signals, and a blue one for high beam.

darbysan

Master Mechanic
Apr 3, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
If you like the black plastic "grained" look, then King Starboard is a good product for the backing plate. You can find it on Ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor