manual brakes? how to

Status
Not open for further replies.

79elcaminoo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 30, 2009
minnesota
how do i get manual brakes in my 1979 malibu?

why in the world would you want manual brakes? :wtf:

You'll need a new master cylinder, and I believe a plate to mount it, because I don't think any G-Bodies were built with manual brakes. You can use the master cylinder & wheel cylinders from an early S10 with manual brakes (wheel cylinders are a different bore size to account for less fluid movement).

If you're running a large cam that has little vacuum, power brakes don't work properly, and it's safer to run manual brakes, but only if everything is set up right. If you don't have the larger bore wheel cylinders (7/8" vs 3/4" with power brakes) you won't have as much pressure in the drums so the car won't stop as well as it should.

beermonkey9417 said:
why in the world would you want manual brakes? :wtf:

for brake modulation and to get rid of some weight....and there is no problem with manual brakes stopping the car.

If the only issue is that the motor won't make enough vacuum for the booster why not use a vacuum reservour can? Much easier.

I had a truck with manual brakes (drums), and all I gotta say is this. If it wasn't for the fact it was a stick and that I could downshift to help me brake, I would have smashed the thing up in a few days. I'm guessing with disks on the front it might be better, but I don't recommend manual brakes on the street.

There is NOTHING wrong with manual brakes. I have them on my 82 Dodge 1/2 ton. Had them on my 65 Barracuda. Would LOVE to have them on my G-body. Is there or isn't there an adapter plate commercially available to use an S10 MC on them?

sb

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor