Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Re: MEBE007's 80 Regal Build Thread

Now you know why most guys refer to them as "Scummit". Hey, nice hole cutting! It looked like you had a map of where the hole should be, and no more than necessary. Well done. What kind of seats are those? They look like early Firebird/Camaro type. I like vinyl a lot more than cloth, and they last longer too.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia

Bonnewagon said:
Now you know why most guys refer to them as "Scummit". Hey, nice hole cutting! It looked like you had a map of where the hole should be, and no more than necessary. Well done. What kind of seats are those? They look like early Firebird/Camaro type. I like vinyl a lot more than cloth, and they last longer too.

Thanks man. The seats i pulled out of a mid 80's cutlass many years ago and had them recovered. i love the vinyl its been wonderful lol. It really sucks that i have to redo the interior panels but i hope they will turn out how i like this time. as far as the shifter goes you guys sure helped me alot on that. i took a bare block per your recommendation and got it all mocked up. then dented the floor with a punch. drilled a couple pilot holes to get my air saw started and cut a little at a time until i could get the shifter bolted on then trimmed until it had full movement of the shifter. the hole will get cut out bigger one we get ready to mount the hump for the shifter. i just wanted to go ahead and be able to mock things up.

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010

You need any parts? I have a parts car with great parts still avail.header,complete.great cond.also a set of rust free doors and fenders,and also a great cond set of wheel trim.pm me if interested.great progress!

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY

You may need to leave some extra room on the pass side of the shifter. I remember when I had the 400 in the Malibu, when I got on it, the drivetrain twisted a bit and the shifter hit the floor. And that's with a poly trans mount too. I also use a torque strap up at the driver side of the motor to hold the drivetrain still. All I did was run some chain from a head stud to the upper A arm. Loose enough so it doesn't vibrate, but tight enough so as soon as the motor twists, it tightens up and stops it. Saves motor mounts too! Not my picture but it's the same idea.
TorqueStrap006.jpg

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia

Bonnewagon said:
You may need to leave some extra room on the pass side of the shifter. I remember when I had the 400 in the Malibu, when I got on it, the drivetrain twisted a bit and the shifter hit the floor. And that's with a poly trans mount too. I also use a torque strap up at the driver side of the motor to hold the drivetrain still. All I did was run some chain from a head stud to the upper A arm. Loose enough so it doesn't vibrate, but tight enough so as soon as the motor twists, it tightens up and stops it. Saves motor mounts too! Not my picture but it's the same idea.
TorqueStrap006.jpg

thats a good idea mark. i have poly motor and trans mounts and thought of adding a chain.

i cant stop sitting here beating myself up right now over messing up all the hard work i did getting the interior painted and having to strip it somehow and redo. im also trying to figure out if i want to add any sound damper/ heat mat to the floor before i put the new carpet in and if so what brand lol. i hear good stuff about the thermal-tec mat

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY

That sucks. What brand? I use SEM and I lay it on thick, about a coat every 15 minutes or so. I know they say if you can't recoat in an hour, then wait a day or more. What really blows is whatever will remove the paint quick will probably eat the plastic too. Gas works well, but is friggin' dangerous. Maybe mineral spirits?

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia

i painted them with duplicolor wimbledon white. i might try the sem stuff in the super white color as it is close to the sand grey. that stuff is super expensive though.

any clue on how many cans it would take to do the lower door panels, and all the rear interior trim and the headliner moldings?a also i read you should use their primer and then hit it with their clear coat
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... GRP2050___

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY

It is, but it sure lasts and lasts.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia

Bonnewagon said:
It is, but it sure lasts and lasts.

the only reason i did them with what i did was becaquse there was alot of sun rot and i figured id rather not waste a ton of money on them. just couldnt see putting them back in the car with various colors of sun damage

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY

That reminds me of some Firebird rear seat panels that were crumbly from the sun. I sanded them smooth best I could then SEM'd them until they were built back up. They probably had more flex-coat on them than plastic but they did look pretty good. By me a can goes for around $10 but if you go easy with it and only do 2 or 3 thin coats like the instructions say, it covers a decent amount. I just overdo it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor