BUILD THREAD Midlife Crisis Monte Carlo Build

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I just read through this thread today. I like the approach & thought taken on the mods so I'll keep watching for updates. Curious.... What was the savings cost of modding the rear housing vs ordering say a new 9" from them? If you don't wish to post the numbers, no problem....

Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Wow, looks like a nice build! Don't know how I missed this one. Keep the updates coming!

Reactions: 3 users

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
Have you found spherical bearings to fit the Crown Vic housing? They are larger that the Mustang and the 64-88 A/G bodies. I was going to machine sleeves for the upper ears on my housing and tack weld them in place and use the commonly available ones for the 64-88 A/G bodies.

Reactions: 1 user

tokarz1

Greasemonkey
Feb 16, 2019
Phoenix, NY
I just read through this thread today. I like the approach & thought taken on the mods so I'll keep watching for updates. Curious.... What was the savings cost of modding the rear housing vs ordering say a new 9" from them? If you don't wish to post the numbers, no problem....

Hi, the cost savings for me is around $500 so far and I expect it to be a bit more. The 9" center sections are quite pricey. The 8.8 differentials are very plentiful even in limited slip be it used or new. I am sure you know but the Ford 8.8 is pretty much a carbon copy of the GM 12 bolt. There is more to the story but that's it in a nutshell.

tokarz1

Greasemonkey
Feb 16, 2019
Phoenix, NY
Have you found spherical bearings to fit the Crown Vic housing? They are larger that the Mustang and the 64-88 A/G bodies. I was going to machine sleeves for the upper ears on my housing and tack weld them in place and use the commonly available ones for the 64-88 A/G bodies.

Hi, I have been down that road in the beginning. There needs to be a sleeve approximately 1/4 between the mustang 8.8 spherical bushing and the 8.8 crown vic upper ear housing. I have the exact measurements somewhere. I have not searched for crown vic specific bushings as I planned to have a sleeve installed and then the spherical bushing screwed on. I talked with a few people about this and they all said it would not be an issue especially since the spherical bushings get bolted on and not pressed in.

tokarz1

Greasemonkey
Feb 16, 2019
Phoenix, NY

I was also thinking of just installing new crown vic rubber bushings and putting the spherical on the other end. Still undecided on this...

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Hi, I have been down that road in the beginning. There needs to be a sleeve approximately 1/4 between the mustang 8.8 spherical bushing and the 8.8 crown vic upper ear housing. I have the exact measurements somewhere. I have not searched for crown vic specific bushings as I planned to have a sleeve installed and then the spherical bushing screwed on. I talked with a few people about this and they all said it would not be an issue especially since the spherical bushings get bolted on and not pressed in.
I have a source for sleeves. I'll post the source once I have it in my hand. But my plan is to get a sleeve and machine it to a tight fit in the housing ears and then tack weld it with nickle rod to retain them. Sleeve could be done to step it down to the 64-88 A/G body sized bushing OD or the 79-04 Ford Fox/SN sizes. I think I'm going to stick with the A/G body size.
Another detail to be attended to is the bolt size where the lower control arm mounts to the axle brackets.
The Crown Vic uses 14mm bolts. Stock 78-88 A/G body bolts are 12mm.
I am going to make some shoulder washers to step the holes down to the 12mm size.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
I wanted to comment on the price difference between 8.8 parts and other rears is dramatic.
I collected everything I needed brand new.
My 31 spline Cobra spec Traction lock was $250 shipped to my door
My Ford Racing ring and pinion set was $130 also shipped to me door.
Bearing and shim kits were well under $75
Axles and axle bearings are same price as other rears.
I just liked the wide availability of inexpensive new parts.

Reactions: 3 users

tokarz1

Greasemonkey
Feb 16, 2019
Phoenix, NY
I have a source for sleeves. I'll post the source once I have it in my hand. But my plan is to get a sleeve and machine it to a tight fit in the housing ears and then tack weld it with nickle rod to retain them. Sleeve could be done to step it down to the 64-88 A/G body sized bushing OD or the 79-04 Ford Fox/SN sizes. I think I'm going to stick with the A/G body size.
Another detail to be attended to is the bolt size where the lower control arm mounts to the axle brackets.
The Crown Vic uses 14mm bolts. Stock 78-88 A/G body bolts are 12mm.
I am going to make some shoulder washers to step the holes down to the 12mm size.

Nice! I would like to grab some of that stuff. Here are the measurements I have....

Fox Body 8.8 Bushings

Outer Diameter -
45.46mm
1" 51/64
1.790"

Crown Victoria 8.8 Bushings

Outer Diameter -
52.578mm
2" 1/16
2.07"

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor