BUILD THREAD Midlife Crisis Monte Carlo Build

tokarz1

Greasemonkey
Feb 16, 2019
Phoenix, NY
Nice work, your due diligence definitely paid off by checking the stack up of parts! QP definitely seems to have taken great care of you, I'll keep that in mind. I can't remember what are you using to bolt this in the car? I've seen some 8.8 kits that I like and some that I don't.
Thanks! With the way the housing is cast it has the upper ears so close to the G Body that a relocation kit really is not needed. I plan the use spherical bushings on one side for the upper and lower trailing arms. The lowers are so close spherical bushings are really not even needed, you could use the stock lower arms.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Awesome build. Subscribed.

Reactions: 3 users

ZMonte85

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 28, 2020
Troutman, NC
Really enjoying this write up. Nice work. Love the attention to detail.

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I seen an interior axle seal to the wheel bearing - are those bearings a sealed bearing not needing lube from the center section?

Also, just reviewed all of the progress thus far, wow....nice work on the frame!!

Reactions: 1 user

tokarz1

Greasemonkey
Feb 16, 2019
Phoenix, NY
I seen an interior axle seal to the wheel bearing - are those bearings a sealed bearing not needing lube from the center section?

Also, just reviewed all of the progress thus far, wow....nice work on the frame!!
Hi and Thanks! The interior axle seal in the picture was me just trying to get it in far enough that the bearing retainer and bearing lip would not hit it but since they milled down the stop it pushed through to the tube on me before I had enough clearance. They remedy was to use the Moser Engineering Axle Bearings 9508B. These are sealed and have an o-ring to seal the oil from leaking out. They worked out great!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msr-9508b

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Hi and Thanks! The interior axle seal in the picture was me just trying to get it in far enough that the bearing retainer and bearing lip would not hit it but since they milled down the stop it pushed through to the tube on me before I had enough clearance. They remedy was to use the Moser Engineering Axle Bearings 9508B. These are sealed and have an o-ring to seal the oil from leaking out. They worked out great!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msr-9508b

It sounds like he was saying the seal was facing inward, thus depriving the bearing of gear oil for lubrication. In that case, is the bearing self-contained, i.e. greased?

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Ahh, yes. It is self-contained, i.e. greased. Sorry about that.
Ah ha - that’s what I was asking.
I just contacted Quicks on Friday and got a quote for a spool, axles, bearings and ends to convert my Exploder rear to Torino style ends, but I was looking at a different bearing.

Looks like there is more than one way to skin the 8.8 cat lol. Seen your from Phoenix, I’m in ‘ use quite often. Hopefully you can get this going for next years Nationals at the fairgrounds - we never miss, except this year than you Covid.

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor