"monkey rigged" things you have found onyour car!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TODoubleD

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2012
lets see what you allhave found that is "monkey rigged" "Jerry rigged" or any other kind of rigged that could have been avoided!
ill start it off.
positive battery cable....
010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

torched springs...
003.jpg

002.jpg

Nov 4, 2012
Where to start? My car had a misseated pushrod, so the previous owner just pulled out the spark plug on that cylinder. My quarters had rust, so he pop riveted an old street sign over the hole. The grille was ZIP TIED on! And then of course, the push pins holding up the headliner.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Over the years? More than I can count. Here's a few recent greatest hits:
My dad's VW bus had a replacement battery tray on top of a replacement battery tray on top of the original battery tray. All it really did was collect debris an rust out the quarter panel. It's a VW so there were lots of other "custom" touches too.
005-44.jpg

The ignition tumbler was missing and the wires from the ignition switch were cut. They were routed to a toggle switch, push button and indicator light. Ironically, the replacement tumbler cost less than the three new items.
005_zps582431d4.jpg

My brother's Volvo was a restoration in progress when he picked it up. The guy gave up after he rebuilt the brakes but it still wouldn't stop. The calipers were on the wrong sides and couldn't be properly bled. Pretty easy fix. There were a few other small things too.
035-2-1.jpg

I did some work on this T-bird last spring. Beautiful restoration but has always pulled to the right. Found that the front drums were different diameter by about 3/8". To say the contact area of the shoes was different from side to side would be a gross understatement.
001-73.jpg

When I bought my wagon it had mystery rally springs on the front. Yes, there is an engine in it. Strangely, it had 2" lowering blocks on the rear. I have no clue what the previous owner was trying to accomplish.
001-11.jpg

The struts were held in the fully extended position. Stock springs on the right.
002-10.jpg

TODoubleD

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2012
Re: "monkey rigged" things you have found on your car!

it amazes me on how stupid some people can be. ones quick fix is just an headache for the next person.... who really cares about there stuff and wants everything to work right.

TODoubleD

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2012
and i forgot to mention that the battery was a Subaru top mount battery.... :blam:

IronCastKnight

Apprentice
Sep 8, 2012
Tulsa, Oklahoma
And here I was thinking the incredibly asinine wiring job the previous owner of my Cutlass did on the stereo was bad. Clearly I do not even begin to understand the meaning of "mickey mouse".

TODoubleD

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2012
IronCastKnight said:
And here I was thinking the incredibly asinine wiring job the previous owner of my Cutlass did on the stereo was bad. Clearly I do not even begin to understand the meaning of "mickey mouse".
hahahaa that reminds me there is a random kind of thick green wire (ruffly 8 gage) that fell from behind the radio dash area that i had no clue what it was for. come to find out it was a amp remote wire. not capped or anything. and the typical hacked up factory radio harness to convert it to a modern radio.

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
I had a 78 chevy van in highschool, ply wood floor, plummers strap holding the gastank in and a cable just in side the rear doors holding the sides together so it wouldent collapse on it self,when you turned corners the seats in the rear would move :lol: it freaked people out!

SilverShadow87

Master Mechanic
Dec 3, 2011
when i first bought this one, it had a bunch of silicone slapped around the front window trim.. removed it and figured out why, the windshield was only being held down by butyl tape on the bottom of the windshield, all the urethane around the top 3 sides was worn out an gone. you could push the windshield out a good 2-3 inches easily, probably more if ya tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor