"monkey rigged" things you have found onyour car!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurst1979olds

G-Body Guru
Feb 19, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
The guys I work with told me this story. Years ago they had a customers engine core come in. He must of had a head gasket go bad, because he welded the head right to the block.

Ive seen another guy take a fox body mustang and wanted to cut out the rear wheel tubs to fit bigger tires. His new wheel tubs were a 55 gallon drum cut in half....Same guy cut out all his front support and from and weld in 1/2-5/8 metal pipe from Home Depots plumbing section.

I saw someones Dodge Neon in college and he put PVC pipe in it to look like a roll cage. Then covered it with the foam pipe insulation.

The worst any of my cars were "rigged" was with was scotch locks.

Erich

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 14, 2012
Las Cruces
hurst1979olds said:
The guys I work with told me this story. Years ago they had a customers engine core come in. He must of had a head gasket go bad, because he welded the head right to the block.

Ive seen another guy take a fox body mustang and wanted to cut out the rear wheel tubs to fit bigger tires. His new wheel tubs were a 55 gallon drum cut in half....Same guy cut out all his front support and from and weld in 1/2-5/8 metal pipe from Home Depots plumbing section.

I saw someones Dodge Neon in college and he put PVC pipe in it to look like a roll cage. Then covered it with the foam pipe insulation.

The worst any of my cars were "rigged" was with was scotch locks.
I've done my fair share of "monkey rigging", especially on the side of the road when options aren't available, but just what did he think welding the head to the block would accomplish? :blam:

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Oh, I forgot a botch I came across on my old salon. When I bought the car, there was a C clamp on the wiper motor, I left it be, didn't bother anything, and figured I may need it someday. Someday came, so I removed said c clamp and used it where I needed it. week or so later, I go to use my wipers, and they didn't work. I checked fuses, wiring, switch, motor, nothing seemed amiss. Then I remembered, the fricken C clamp, put it back where it was, presto! wipers again :rofl: .

TODoubleD

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2012
Oldsmoletick said:
Oh, I forgot a botch I came across on my old salon. When I bought the car, there was a C clamp on the wiper motor, I left it be, didn't bother anything, and figured I may need it someday. Someday came, so I removed said c clamp and used it where I needed it. week or so later, I go to use my wipers, and they didn't work. I checked fuses, wiring, switch, motor, nothing seemed amiss. Then I remembered, the fricken C clamp, put it back where it was, presto! wipers again :rofl: .
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
Re: "monkey rigged" things you have found on your car!

1bad79 said:
I have never seen a balance job like that :shock:
I have, The one I found just like that came from 'MEXICO". It was a 3800 Buick that spun a main bearing.
The customer had the same problem while in Rocky Point and was stuck so he, Paid $500 to get a new crank put in.
The LeSabre made it back to PHX before it ate itself again. We put a long block in it to fix it. :(

TODoubleD

Greasemonkey
Nov 4, 2012
so today i was removing my steering wheel to get down in to the column to replace the ignition switch cylinder. because sometime ago the ears broke off of it before i owned it. well some how someone stripped the threads off of upper column where the steering wheel bolts on. and they decided to JB Weld the Grant GT adapter to the shaft, and then the nut to the shaft. :wtf: so what should have been a 30 minute job and only 40 bucks in parts just turned in to about a week and having to spend 200 to have the upper shaft replaced.

onebadasscutlass

Greasemonkey
Jun 30, 2011
detriot, michigan
Re: "monkey rigged" things you have found onyour car!

I have an s10 and was checking out why the s.e.s light was on so upon looking around the engine bay I seen the throttle position sensor hang out side the throttle body... Oh and the distributer cap was zipped tied on cause last owner broke the screws off in the housing wtf! It's still like that currently have not had a chance to fix it yet. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor