Moroso Blue Max vs 8.8mm MSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmorman

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2008
Perry, IA
Hello all!
Getting ready to do a few improvements to the 383 over the winter. I did a baseline set of Dyno pulls so I can compare next Spring. While at the Dyno, the owner and his father both mentioned that they would swap out my 8.8mm MSD wires for Moroso Blue Max wires. Has anybody done a comparison? I've had the MSD wires for 10-15 years and had no troubles that I'm aware of. However, I'd make the swap if it would be worth it.
Thanks,
Russ

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
As an electrical engineer and with my understanding of automotive ignitions I can't imagine why a smaller wire would be better as I think the Moroso Blue Max wires are only 8 mm.

This is an interesting video I found that compares the common wire brands:

It shows that the MSD have a resistance of 70 Ohms/ft and the Moroso Blue Max are actually 580 Ohms/ft. To be honest it seems like a large difference but it probably wouldn't really effect much. Lower is technically better so the MSD are likely the better choice. Or for a little more (~$20) the Granatelli's seem like they would be the "ideal" choice.

(To be technical: more resistance or Ohms/ft delays the RC time response of the ignition spark or delays the point when the spark actually fires from when the coil fires. Again, as far as I understand automotive ignition systems, "ideally" I can't see why you would want a delay that is not adjustable and so the lowest resistance or Ohms/ft spark plug wires should result in the shortest delay. However, I imagine at the time scale of ignitions events (50 Hz or 50 ignition events per second at 6000 RPM assuming 1 spark per 2 revolutions per cylinder) a large range of resistance from 0-1,000 Ohms/ft or higher might have very little effect on the ignition control. Also, the Granatelli wires have ferrite beads which should help suppress RF emission which is nice.)

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
we used Moroso ultra 40 wires on all our race cars and I use them on my GP. We tested a bunch of high end brands and found that the ultra 40 always has 40 ohms per foot resistance. The other brands were higher and there was inconsistency in the wires.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

rmorman

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2008
Perry, IA
Thanks guys! Maybe the best thing to do is see if the builder has a set of Moroso wires I can run after I do my 383 refresh. I'm planning on a post build Dyno run. I guess a Dyno would tell the truth. I really appreciate the insight! :)

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I've read that the MSD 8.5 wires were one of the best as far as having the least amount of resistance compared to the competitors.

I use Taylor wires...8mm, spiral core. I'm pretty happy with them.
I had used Accel 8.8 wires for years. I think the Taylor wires had less resistance than those.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Thanks guys! Maybe the best thing to do is see if the builder has a set of Moroso wires I can run after I do my 383 refresh. I'm planning on a post build Dyno run. I guess a Dyno would tell the truth. I really appreciate the insight! :)

I can tell you that all the cars in the sportsman and late model series I was involved in used the moroso ultra 40 and nascar uses them...

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The covered ultra 40 are also numbered and they come in two different lengths, one for over and the other for under the headers

mor73626.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor