Muscle, donk or lowered. Whats your choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I'll agree with 88hurstolds and hurstolds on this one. As already mentioned if you're running a taller tire or wheel, it is going to take more torque to turn the wheels. So if you have 3.73 gears and are running wheels in the 20' range, then your 3.73 ratio is going to feel more like a 3.55 or even a 3.42 ratio. Perfect example of this is in my father's dodge dart. He has a 3.91 posi and is running a 15x12x32.5 tires in the back (tubbed of course). Me and him have both agreed that the car acts like it has a 3.73 ratio in it based on the acceleration and overall top speed.

Lesson here is yes wheels effect acceleration, but as far as power you might as well act like a tuner, throw stickers on your car, and think you got 50hp out of the deal. Again, I don't see the "practical" basis for having wheels that big, but I'm sure guys with big wheels sit there and ask "why do you need that much power?". Had a friend of mine with a mid 60's caddy with 28's and air ride suspension. I like the enginuity in his car and the comment out of his mouth when he looked at mine was "You look like your trying to get somewhere in a hurry"

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
88hurstolds said:
Theres your physics, nuff said, but when you have a performance engine in your car all that goes out the window since the difference is almost negligable when your putting out over 400hp...

Exactly.

I'm not arguing that big wheels make a car faster. That sounds like a contradiction in itself. People are saying that big wheels slow a car down a considerable amount. I'm saying that I've never experienced a big difference performance wise whether o sytocks or my rims.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Qdub24 said:
88hurstolds said:
Theres your physics, nuff said, but when you have a performance engine in your car all that goes out the window since the difference is almost negligable when your putting out over 400hp...

Exactly.

I'm not arguing that big wheels make a car faster. That sounds like a contradiction in itself. People are saying that big wheels slow a car down a considerable amount. I'm saying that I've never experienced a big difference performance wise whether o sytocks or my rims.

they not only slow the car down on acceleration but the handling of a car that high would be insane...I doubt you have ever checked the roll center of the car with those huge wheels is and or even understand what a roll center is...

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
pontiacgp said:
Qdub24 said:
88hurstolds said:

Exactly.

they not only slow the car down on acceleration but the handling of a car that high would be insane...I doubt you have ever checked the roll center of the car with those huge wheels is and or even understand what a roll center is...

If you think so guy who's never driven a car on big rims. All of this scientific theories you guys are using have been disproven a million times. I've been 147mph on 22s and didn't feel any different than when I did the same mph in the same car on stocks.

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
[/quote]If you think so guy who's never driven a car on big rims. All of this scientific theories you guys are using have been disproven a million times. I've been 147mph on 22s and didn't feel any different than when I did the same mph in the same car on stocks.[/quote]

I have driven a car on big rims and it does drive differently. We're comparing apples to oranges, cars built for different purposes. If you like the look of a bigger wheel, go for it, but you can't say that scientific theories have been disproven because you say so. Show me some testing, with measurable results. Just the drag from being up higher should make a difference. I know that you probably don't feel a difference with a high horespower motor, but there is a difference. Here's a personal example that's somewhat relateable to this discussion. No scientific tests, just feel. I lifted my Toyota 4X4 and put 33" tall tires on it. The little 4 banger never struggled so hard...the only way to overcome the shortfall was with a steeper gear. Although I regained some of what I lost performance-wise, handling is another story. If my truck were a car, I know that it would not handle the same. There's nothing wrong with you wanting to go with the bigger wheels, but they are mostly for looks, not performance.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Qdub24 said:
I've been 147mph on 22s and didn't feel any different than when I did the same mph in the same car on stocks.

if that is true then you really should stop driving since you don't have a clue on what the car is doing.....you must be like those people who drive with one tire almost flat and they are oblivious to it....

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
pontiacgp said:
Qdub24 said:
I've been 147mph on 22s and didn't feel any different than when I did the same mph in the same car on stocks.

if that is true then you really should stop driving since you don't have a clue on what the car is doing.....you must be like those people who drive with one tire almost flat and they are oblivious to it....

What are you talking about sir? I didn't have any issues with my car at that speed. It didn't do anything abnormal.

By the way, a flat tire is very noticeable with a skinny/low profile tire. Been there done that too.

Chris Van

G-Body Guru
Nov 8, 2009
Middle Ga.
Qdub24 said:

You've been how fast on what??????
Now even I'm gonna call BS on this one.... and i'm really not concerned with what kind of wheels you have or who's learned what in physics class.
How do you know you were going 147mph in your donk??
Did you purchase the 160mph speedo option available for donks??
You do realize that 147mph in that same car on stocks (as you put it) was probably actually going 167mph once you put those big wheels on it don't ya??
That's pretty damn fast ya know.... Where did this take place??

:blam:

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
Chris Van said:
Qdub24 said:

You've been how fast on what??????
Now even I'm gonna call BS on this one.... and i'm really not concerned with what kind of wheels you have or who's learned what in physics class.
How do you know you were going 147mph in your donk??
Did you purchase the 160mph speedo option available for donks??
You do realize that 147mph in that same car on stocks (as you put it) was probably actually going 167mph once you put those big wheels on it don't ya??
That's pretty damn fast ya know.... Where did this take place??

:blam:

I don't, nor have I ever owned a donk. I had a '94 Impala SS which I just sold in May. I sold it with the 22s on it and kept my stock SS wheels for my '96 Caprice cause they've got new Nitto DOT drag radials on them. It had a digital dash, as does my '96. I hit 147 on a nice, long stretch of road not far from my house. I did it on more than one occasion. Yes I'm aware of the speedo difference between stocks and my rims.
That may be fast to you, but I've been faster than that on a long stretch of highway in another car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor