My 5.3 Swap Thread ** NEW PICS ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

beeterolds

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2007
Cleveland ohio 44131
The engine does sit high, mostly because i had to run a carb spacer in order to clear the msd box... I bought that air cleaner about 6 yrs ago from Summit on their scratch and dent table

Eventually I will go back to fuel injection, but for now it will have the mechanical toilet bowl metering fuel...

I cranked it over yesterday and thankfully she has good oil pressure!!

I will fire her this week!!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That's a nice clean set up but do you have any concerns about the MSD box getting hot in that location? We have a 5.3 in the pick up that's a DD and we use as the tow vehicle for the race car, that engine has alot of mileage on it and it's still in great condition

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
Re: My 5.3 Swap

dogshit said:
After you get tired of constantly filling up every time you burn 8 gallons of fuel and or you burn up a pump you might decide that brand new shinney rust free $90 baffled tank looks like a deal. :mrgreen:

You DON'T need a baffled tank - this is a myth. I've been running my LS1 with the old Regal tank for almost a year now.

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
I love the build - great setup. Keep us posted on how its going.

beeterolds

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2007
Cleveland ohio 44131
pontiacgp said:
That's a nice clean set up but do you have any concerns about the MSD box getting hot in that location? We have a 5.3 in the pick up that's a DD and we use as the tow vehicle for the race car, that engine has alot of mileage on it and it's still in great condition

considering how Edelbrock designed the box to sit here I cant see it overheating unless the car is idling in one spot, for a long time, im over 90 degree temps... with the cooling fans off... but then again the engine would be roasting itself into "seizery"

As long as I have a cooling fan pushing air and I have a cowl hood scoop, It will be fine..

beeterolds

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2007
Cleveland ohio 44131
LS1GN said:
I love the build - great setup. Keep us posted on how its going.

thanks man! I tip my hat to you also for giving me a few pointers, naturally I had to figure things out myself but ya pointed me in the right direction..

Im sure you'll agree.. the swap is straight forward but theres several quirks that are unique to each build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor